Turbo Training - To Wheel or Not to Wheel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

graeme81

Regular
With Autumn and Winter approaching, I managed to bag myself a Tacx Turbo Trainer this year in the hope of staying on my bike throughout the cold months, no matter what the weather. I have been told that I NEED to get a spare wheel with a TT tyre to avoid excessive wear and as it's easier to swap a wheel than a tyre, it would be worth investing in the new wheel and cassette too. I'm wondering how true this is as I really don't want to go out and spend another £80-100 on something that is not necessary.
I have lots of other cycling equipment which I would rather spend the money on if the tyre/wheel is not required.
What's the experience of those out there?

Cheers
Graeme

VamP

Banned
You don't need a turbo specific tyre, but the wear is bit more than you'd expect on the road. I tend to ride my PT wheel on the turbo, so it gets shod with some agricultural rubber (an old Durano or similar) for the winter. Except it's wearing a Racing Ralph at the moment. waiting for it's chance at cross glory.

What you will need is a powerful fan!

What VamP said about the fan. You'll be dripping otherwise.
I use the same wheel/cassette but with a turbo specific tyre. Nothing to stop you putting an old/puncture prone tyre on though and wearing that out. I have more than one bike - so leave the one with the turbo specific tyre permanently setup on the turbo so I can just hop on it as and when.

I don't have a spare wheel, but if the weather looks to be unpleasant for a while I put an old, worn tyre on and bolt the thing to the Turbo. If my nice bicycle is on the Turbo, I ride fixed or use the MTB if I need to go out somewhere.

It is worth keeping a couple of old, worn tyres just for your Turbo. You can take them down to the fabric... it is not a safety issue because you are unlikely to fall off a Turbo at speed.

As to fans, I don't have one. My turbo is in the room above the garage (essentially an old hay loft) and I just open windows. I have a towel on the handlebar and the bike sits on an old carpet off-cut. You do pour off sweat, but I've never felt the need for a fan.

VamP

Banned
I don't have a spare wheel, but if the weather looks to be unpleasant for a while I put an old, worn tyre on and bolt the thing to the Turbo. If my nice bicycle is on the Turbo, I ride fixed or use the MTB if I need to go out somewhere.

It is worth keeping a couple of old, worn tyres just for your Turbo. You can take them down to the fabric... it is not a safety issue because you are unlikely to fall off a Turbo at speed.

As to fans, I don't have one. My turbo is in the room above the garage (essentially an old hay loft) and I just open windows. I have a towel on the handlebar and the bike sits on an old carpet off-cut. You do pour off sweat, but I've never felt the need for a fan.

I love the way you're not completely dismissing the possibility :laugh:

you're not riding hard enough then.. ;)

This is undoubtedly true. to be honest, I don't think I ever did.

But I come from an age when anything beyong fairly token warm-ups and cool-downs were seen as bizarre and when people who trained indoors expected it to feel like a vigorous session in the hammam (but without some of the sexual pestering).

OP
OP
graeme81

graeme81

Regular
Thanks to everyone for their input. I think I will try just using my present setup for a while and play it by ear. When I get some spare pennies, I will invest in the TT tyre and a spare wheel.
Thanks again
Cheers
Graeme

I disagree, you do need a TT tyre if you are planning on using the TT for any amount of time. I had to put a piece of card behind my wheel as the amount of crap being shed off the tyre was ruining the wallpaper. I would also advise a cheap spare wheel rather than use anything of any value as (imo) the TT isn't good for your wheel bearings,

VamP

Banned
I disagree, you do need a TT tyre if you are planning on using the TT for any amount of time. I had to put a piece of card behind my wheel as the amount of crap being shed off the tyre was ruining the wallpaper. I would also advise a cheap spare wheel rather than use anything of any value as (imo) the TT isn't good for your wheel bearings,

Dare I suggest, as you seem to be unique in your findings, that you have another look at your set up?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

Hardly much of an inconvenience.

I don't know anyone who rides a turbo trainer as much as me (I have done approx 150 hours on a turbo trainer since late January) and I have never had a problem other than bits of rubber flicking off the wheel when using normal worn out road tyres.

Hardly much of an inconvenience.

I don't know anyone who rides a turbo trainer as much as me (I have done approx 150 hours on a turbo trainer since late January) and I have never had a problem other than bits of rubber flicking off the wheel when using normal worn out road tyres..

Exactly, you get bits of tyre flicked off, I get bits of TT tyre flicked off. If the op is using is normal everyday wheels and tyres then he is going to go through road tryes unless he as a large collection of worn tyres or doesn't use the TT much.

My set up is fine ta very much, a full frame fortius, so the bike is probably held 'stiffer' than most and as greater resitance applied.

For what its worth the tyre I have on atm is approx 18 month old and is coming to the end of its life, I would imagine I equal you in TT hours putting approx a hour a day in when not out on the bike and anything upto 4 hours in if I should be out on the bike and the weather says no.

D

Deleted member 1258

I just keep an old bike on the turbo, I don't keep a specific wheel or tyre for the old bike, its got the same wheel and tyre on it that was on it when it was last used on the road. its rigged up in the shed so I haven't needed a fan yet, the shed is unheated.

Top Bottom