Turbo Training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melvil

Hey all,

After breaking my femur three months ago (can't believe it's been so long!) coming off my bike, I'm now at the stage where I can start to have a go at cycling again - however, I want to start indoors for a couple of weeks to a month or so to build up the muscles. So I took the plunge and bought this off wiggle. Looking forward to getting some exercise in!

Does anyone have any tips for turbo trainer riding as opposed to outdoor cycling? I'll be a total novice to it so if anyone has any advice (especially if they've ridden it recovering from an injury) that would be great!

Mel.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Biggest piece of advice, buy a big fan! Without the air passing over you, as on the road, you will get very warm very fast. Also put a mat or something under the bike to catch the sweat.

OP
OP
M

Melvil

Good plan! I have to say I saw those sweat covers for the top tube of the bike and thought they were a bit, well, naff! But having seen Cadel Evans warming up for the TT on the TDF this year, with the sweat literally in rivulets down his face, I think they're probably worth every penny! Will get myself a big fan.

screenman

Legendary Member
Connect your speedo to the back wheel and get a cheap HRM, this will make the turbo sessions far more interesting. I used one to help me get back from torn knee ligaments, and still use one for specific training sessions.

Invest in a good sound deadening mat to stand it on or the neighbors/ rest of the family will love you even more than they do now

OP
OP
M

Melvil

Good Plan about the mat - might get it from Argos (a general foam exercise mat) instead of the specific cycling ones as they all seem to be 60-70 quid!

Also good idea re speedo will just have to connect it to back wheel - hope the cable is long enough.

Raging Squirrel

i'm looking at one of these too. I presume they would be fine for a hybrid too?

OP
OP
M

Melvil

i'm looking at one of these too. I presume they would be fine for a hybrid too?

Wiggle says they're ok for any kind of bike as long as you can run the attachment through the hub of your wheels and the frame. Not sure how knobbly tyres would go with it, though, think you would want some smooth ones.

Berties

Fast and careful!
it comes with road tyres, slightly thicker than a road bike's tyres

not going to put you off,turbos are great for the winter,but training on them correctly and achieve what you you want is a balance of speed,endurance,and constant monitoring and recovery times,cadence etc and the link i gave the op is a good start ,with the sun pooring down today ,just get out,if it rains get out,while you can,its hard to replicate hills on a turbo!!,building your distance times etc
good luck

Raging Squirrel

not going to put you off,turbos are great for the winter,but training on them correctly and achieve what you you want is a balance of speed,endurance,and constant monitoring and recovery times,cadence etc and the link i gave the op is a good start ,with the sun pooring down today ,just get out,if it rains get out,while you can,its hard to replicate hills on a turbo!!,building your distance times etc
good luck

yeah i was only getting one as a back up for when the roads where i live freeze over in winter making them horrendous to use.

Have a look at 3lc.tv it's a series of turbo trainer specific training DVDs put together by some big name cyclists, based in the isle of man, Cav has had a lot of input in them as well as others, great aids and gives you a specific purpose instead of just sitting and pedalling...

Top Bottom