turbo training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spennie

Veteran
Does anyone one use a fix for there turbo training sessions, if so, can you tell me what sort of sessions you do on the turbo, or would I be best buying a geared bike for turbo training.

Trull

Über Member
I think you would be better having both tbh, I tend to comfortably sit on a 50x15 at 20mph, so depending on how your knees bear up your gearing might be too short.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I tend to try and find a comfortable cadence and then try and maintain it with an occasional blast of a higher ratio to get things spinning a bit , but must admit my sessions are few and far apart

OP
OP
spennie

spennie

Veteran
Thanks, I just what to use it to keep be ticking over, when i'm unable to get out on my trike. I was wondering what cadence should I be looking at and time span would be good a a newbie turbo trainer?

screenman

Legendary Member
Thanks, I just what to use it to keep be ticking over, when i'm unable to get out on my trike. I was wondering what cadence should I be looking at and time span would be good a a newbie turbo trainer?

Depends what you want achieve, if you can do 40 minutes at a broken conversation pace, that is a basic one to be getting on with.

By broken conversation I mean being able to talk but sometimes having to grab an extra breath the middle of a sentence.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
I use my turbo to get me back to a level of fitness suitable to get out for a reasonable ride. (In my case 20~30 miles.)
I ride with just enough pressure on the pedals to know you are pedalling, like going up a slight incline, & at a normal cadence that I would ride at on the flat.
This should also make you feel like you are breathing a little bit more deeply than normal.
The gearing is that which gives enough feedback to know you are doing some good.
How long to do it, for me, no more than 20 min sessions - but I tend to do one in the morning & another in the afternoon.

Top Bottom