Turbo training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spennie

Veteran
Due to my disability i had to stop riding a road bike and started riding a trike, but now after 8yrs on my trike,i'm really desperate to get on two wheels and the only way i can do this, is to set a road bike up on my turbos .I was wondering does anyone know, if this would have a negative or a positive affect on me riding my trike?And is it ok to ride the both types of bike,due to the different types of riding styles.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I suspect it depends on your level of fitness, and mental state.

If your main gains from the turbo are:
  • cardiovascular: it'll transfer positively to the trike. Same lungs, same heart, see?
  • weight management: it'll transfer positively. Same gravity.
  • endurance: the shared parts (above) will transfer, but the specific muscles for an upright might not translate.
  • strength: the specific muscles probably won't translate, and might even act against you.
  • technique: won't transfer.
For mental state, I'd have to understand why you want to be on two wheels so badly that you'd do it indoors. In your position, the thought of being cooped up in the house getting slowly sweatier whilst staring at a wall would be enough to send me very positively towards the trike :smile: Appreciate we're all different though, and there are things beyond our control or understanding.

OP
OP
spennie

spennie

Veteran
I mainly wanted to use it over the winter months, when i cant get out on the road,But now i,m thinking save a bit of money(as road bikes are not cheap) and just stick the trike on the turbo trainer.Is this possible?

I mainly wanted to use it over the winter months, when i cant get out on the road,But now i,m thinking save a bit of money(as road bikes are not cheap) and just stick the trike on the turbo trainer.Is this possible?

I think you'd be better off with parabolic rollers, and the trike.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Trike on a turbo is certainly possible. Preferable even, compared to an upright, in that the rear stays aren't taking forces they don't expect. You have a conventionally sized rear wheel, so it should be relatively easy to find a model that'll fit. A bit of experimentation on the shop floor will help you recognise which ones are easy / hard to mount.

I ran a Minoura rim drive turbo with the SMGTe when recovering from my last set of injuries. Disc brakes with standard rims meant I had no worries about wear to rim or tyre, or the tell-tale fountain of rubber than can spew out the back of these things.

You can put a trike in a turbo without any trouble at all. And if you don't know already, remember to drink loads and you might want to buy a fan as you will sweat loads. Be sure to wipe down the trike afterwards as sweat is corrosive to a frame due to it's salt content.

Have fun.

Top Bottom