Turbo tyre slipping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I seem to have to put the resistance on the turbo so much to stop the slipping its like riding through treacle in first gear . Ive tried scuffing the tyre a bit with sandpaper , that helped a bit but still slipping .
Any tips ?

CXRAndy

Guru
What turbo?

'Wheel in' turbos all suffer the same problem to some level.

That is why direct drive are so becoming ever so popular

‘Turbo tyres’ are made of a softer rubber than normal tyres, to reduce any slipping, but they will still slip, under the right conditions. Direct drive turbos are the way forward, if you really want to do turbo training.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I seem to have to put the resistance on the turbo so much to stop the slipping its like riding through treacle in first gear . Ive tried scuffing the tyre a bit with sandpaper , that helped a bit but still slipping .
Any tips ?

I’ve used a few different tyres. Even amongst the same model there seems to be a little inconsistency. Like maybe once you’ve worn the tyre to a specific point you sort of hit a sweet spot for grip. Dunno... either way the best tyre I’ve used is also one of the most expensive unfortunately. Conti gp4000. I’ve gone right off conti tyres out on the road recently but on the turbo this is the one I’d recommend.

Direct drive turbos do obviously eliminate this problems but they’re generally more expensive so it depends how much you want to invest in turbo’ing I guess.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
When i had a wheel on turbo I tried a few tyres (including a turbo tyre) and the only one than never slipped for me was a continental 4 seasons.

JuhaL

Guru
I had slipping problems too with Bkool Smart Pro. But over time i learned to find better riding technique with that, which eliminate slipping issues quite well. I don't know how i did it but one day i just noticed that slipping issues was almost gone. I ride all the time Continental Grand Prix tires. Slipping issues after that was only then when i ride very steep hills off the saddle. On the saddle no slipping.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I just use my Schwalbe Duranos. No slip, no wear, no rubber dust in the roller. No faff.

*I don’t have an FTP of 270 though ;)

Top Bottom