Turbos and rollers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sonofpear

I'm looking to get a turbo trainer or some rollers, I've never used either and was just wondering what the main pros and cons are. I've done a little research and I'm none the wiser as to which I should go for. They both serve the same kinda purpose right?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I'm looking to get a turbo trainer or some rollers, I've never used either and was just wondering what the main pros and cons are. I've done a little research and I'm none the wiser as to which I should go for. They both serve the same kinda purpose right?

Nope.

If you want to just spin, warm up, ride at aerobic level's then rollers, if you want to ride high intensity intervals, turbo.

There is a bit of an ambiguous zone in the middle, i.e. rollers with resistance unit's.

OP
OP
Sonofpear

Sonofpear

Ah right thanks for that. So normal rollers don't have any resistance, didnt realise that. I'm looking for the higher intensity workout.

Scruffmonster

Über Member
Someone generous should write a sticky on rollers/turbos. Lots of questions asked. I'd write it myself but I've never owned any, though I'd like to try both.

Should anyone in London wish to lend me a Turbo for a week or two for me to try before buying I'd happily give them some appreciative cash.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
They do have inherant resistance, but this depends on drum size and is not something you can alter, of course you can alter resistance by changing gear but the max resistance is often not enough to achieve the training goals of many cyclists. Except in the case of the hybrid systems with resistance units. If you are thinking along the lines of HIIT, a turbo is probably the best bet. , Also at some of the higher intensity level's the stability of a turbo really is something of a virtue! There have been times when dismounting my turbo at the end I am so knackered, I am sure if I was using rollers I would have fell over.

OP
OP
Sonofpear

Sonofpear

Yeah I can't afford both so I'm gonna go for a turbo. Been googling for types and prices etc and there's lots to choose from. What's the difference with magnetic and fluid?

Yeah I can't afford both so I'm gonna go for a turbo. Been googling for types and prices etc and there's lots to choose from. What's the difference with magnetic and fluid?

relates to the type of resistance. I use a mag trainer, and it can get a bit 'lumpy' while pedalling on a high setting, but I rarely use the high settings anyway....

OP
OP
Sonofpear

Sonofpear

Thanks for the help

FreeFlow Bikes

I have a Turbo Trainer and to be fair only use it when I really need to. Much prefer to get out on the road. I downloaded the Free Kindle book that someone posted in the "Found a Bargain" section. After reading the e-book it has made we want to give the rollers a try. It's supposed to help with technique and balance which could be of benefit to me but not sure.

I've got a turbo up in my parents garage but I decided I wanted rollers down here in the flat, they are quieter slightly less mind numbing (not much and that will probably increase as I have to concentrate less on balance); the other advantage to me there's less faff no skewer needed or a turbo tyre.

FreeFlow Bikes

I've got a turbo up in my parents garage but I decided I wanted rollers down here in the flat, they are quieter slightly less mind numbing (not much and that will probably increase as I have to concentrate less on balance); the other advantage to me there's less faff no skewer needed or a turbo tyre.

How did you get on with them at the start? My mate has a set so think I'll ask him for a shot of his before I jump in.

How did you get on with them at the start? My mate has a set so think I'll ask him for a shot of his before I jump in.
I'm just back from the pub so apologies if this is garbled. I found balance a bit scary at first but I set up in a hallway so although I was nervous it wasn't a problem (the wall was there when I needed). I wasn't sure at first if I'd made the right decision (given my lack of balance :blush:) but suddenly on the second or third ride it came and it felt good

FreeFlow Bikes

I'm just back from the pub so apologies if this is garbled. I found balance a bit scary at first but I set up in a hallway so although I was nervous it wasn't a problem (the wall was there when I needed). I wasn't sure at first if I'd made the right decision (given my lack of balance :blush:) but suddenly on the second or third ride it came and it felt good

Think I'll get a shot of my mates to see what they're like. I have the ideal hall where I can saddle up and support myself on both walls.

Top Bottom