Turbos, better than excercise bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a Reebok exercise bike and I'm thinking of chopping it in for a turbo. Just wondered how many people here use a turbo and if there are any advantages over an exercise bike?

Also, any recommendations?

OP
OP
Absinthe Minded
No takers? Silly question? How about one of these?

Rykard

Veteran
big plus is you put your bike on it, so the fit is the same.. some are more realistic than others. I have a kurt kinetic road machine which is ok..

downsides
you have to make up your own programs, there isn't a computer to alter the resistance and stuff automatically...

shooter560

I've got the I-magic and love it, as I can set it up with my regular bike it always fits me and the work load also equates to my normal road riding. Personally I wouldn't bother with the steerer its next to useless and the first thing I got shot of.

Can't compare/comment on an exercise bike as never tried one.

dodgy

I had a Tacx I-Magic, bought it years ago, 1999 I think. Anyway, sold it a couple of years ago after I managed to get a better work life balance (frequently work from home so would rather ride on the roads during my lunch hour). Even with all the bells and whistles of the I-Magic, I still got bored and would count the minutes and then seconds to the end of a workout. I guess turbo training isn't for me.

My advice would be to remove as many obstacles as possible to using it, even if those obstacles are psychological. So if you can leave the turbo set up somewhere, with all the bits and bobs such as fan in situ, you're more likely to make regular use of it. If you have to wheel it out everytime and fix your bike to it, you will (if you're like me) start to invent reasons not to use it. My point is, unless you have a spare bike, a purpose made gym trainer (assuming it is of good quality) might be a better idea.

Anyway, we're all different :blush:

Dave.

Blue

Legendary Member
Absinthe Minded said:
I have a Reebok exercise bike

I had one of those before I got a road bike. I now use a turbo when the weather is bad.

Other posters have mentioned the advantage of a turbo. All I can say is that I would never go back to an exercise bike - I gave mine to a charity shop.

Another thing I use my turbo for is a workstand when working on my bike.

OP
OP
Absinthe Minded
Hi all,

Well, thanks for your input, guys.

You helped me make a decision so I went for the I-Magic in the end and what a piece of kit it is!

Cheers again,

AM.

Top Bottom