Turkey v Spain/France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Still can’t decide on a place to tour commencing may 22 .if you had a 3 months to tour which would you choose and why? Turkey or Spain/France.

Turkey or Türkiye as it is now known.

Given current political events there's no guarantee that the place will remain as accessible in the future. Spain & France are in a far more stable situation.
I think, though, I'd find it hard to spend three months there, at least not without mastering the language. I think you're going solo? Don't underestimate the effect of being a stranger in a strange land without the language for a long time.

But that's only the tip of the iceberg. There are all kinds of factors from timing (I can see June & July being very hot!), budget, logistics (I would cycle there. Would you?), cycling preferences and infrastructure and most important of all what we enjoy and are interested in.

Given that your two options are so very diverse I find it hard to put myself in your shoes. I think about where I want to go, what I want to see or experience. And then try to go there. I don't normally have such a diverse choice.

There's always the failsafe - assign one to each side of a coin, flip it and notice your reaction when the coin lands! ^_^

Or... Do both. :becool:

Good luck!

As Hobbes says
I was actually advocating for Türkiye!

I favour the Australian Government's foreign travel advice (Smart Traveller) and other than avoiding the border with Ukraine & Iraq there is nothing "out of the normal" - risk of terrorist attack and political riots are common for any developing nation as well as some developed ones.

There's a journal of a tour done in Syria on CrazyGuyOnABike that can never be repeated and it always sits in my mind when thinking of something like this. Some places the chances to visit should be seized, not postponed. Too many people put off touring until everything is "perfect". Things are rarely perfect.

Everything I have ever read of Türkiye for bike touring makes it sound very attractive - for me. There's a Travelogue here that may be useful to the OP.

Last edited:
Top Bottom