Turning my bike into an exercise bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AnneW

Über Member
I'm sure the piece of equipment I want has a name but I've no idea what it is!

I'm about to stuck at home for 4 weeks and don't want to lose what little fitness I've gained. I won't be able to go out on the bike or go to the gym (it's a health issue and you really don't want to know) but if I had one of these things I could still cycle. My house isn't big enough for an exercise bike but I could use this in the garden.

Anyone have one of these or any info? I've had a quick look on t'internet but the only one I've seen was $99 so I'm guessing the postage costs could be high.

Octet

Veteran
Rollers?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deluxe-Indo...4F4O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345126220&sr=8-1

Not sure if this is what you mean?
Alternatively you could try and just jack the back wheel off the floor, just make sure you have hands on the brakes in case it slips :ohmy:

HovR

Über Member
You're probably thinking of a "Turbo Trainer" (Like Octet linked above). These are the style which lock your back wheel in against a resistance unit whilst your front wheel stays on the ground. I've never used one of these, but I've heard they're incredibly boring to use.

The other option is a set of rollers, which are supposed to be more entertaining as you still have to concentrate on balancing etc, however there is more of a learning curve

Here's a picture of rollers:

Elite_Parbolic_Roller_Trainer.M.jpg

Octet

Veteran
The other option is a set of rollers, which are supposed to be more entertaining as you still have to concentrate on balancing etc, however there is more of a learning curve.

Just looked at some rollers, and they start at the high price of £120 from Amazon unfortunately.

HovR

Über Member
Lots of people make their own rollers, which presumably is cheaper, although will obviously require some DIY skill/know-how. I'm just throwing out the options here.

Octet

Veteran
Lots of people make their own rollers, which presumably is cheaper, although will obviously require some DIY skill/know-how. I'm just throwing out the options here.

Maybe some PVC Pipes as the roller piece, and then they sit on a couple of bolts on a frame to hold them in. Obviously it wouldn't be as smooth, but might work?

HovR

Über Member
Maybe some PVC Pipes as the roller piece, and then they sit on a couple of bolts on a frame to hold them in. Obviously it wouldn't be as smooth, but might work?

There's a recent thread around somewhere on this very topic, in which someone linked to a place where you can buy conveyor belt rollers at a reasonable price, which are fitted with ball bearings. That'd do the trick.

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe someone has a turbo trainer in the garage that they don't use that they could sell you. Alternatively, they are commonly used for winter training, as it's summer, perhaps someone would 'rent' you one that they aren't using right now :smile:

RhythMick

Über Member
I.bought a £65 turbo trainer from Amazon. Mag type with variable resistance. helped with recovery from my knee injury. think its excellent

Top Bottom