TV programme: Mountain biking in Nepal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Interesting to see Nepal but the cycling was a bit rubbish: rubbish roads and playing chicken with buses.

The buses as you say, but for me the roads look very interesting.

jiberjaber

Veteran
I recon it must cost about £10K to get the gear and support to do that race (assuming you didn't already have a bike etc). Entry alone is about $3.75k then there's flights, insurance, any support team (he had his phisio with him). I think he must have been sponsored by Specialized given the about of gear he had and how he always had his front zip down to show off the logo.

http://theyakattack.com/nepal_2015/#itinerary
Still at least you get a t-shirt at the end of it :biggrin:

I was surprised he went in to that knowing how injured he was from his previous exploit a few weeks before.

Good watching it though :smile:

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
I thought it was an enjoyable watch, but not as good as the ones done by James Craknell a while back before the lorry wing mirror to head interface event.

Looking at his kit, he seemed to have been puked on by a spesh concept store. Lucky git!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I quite enjoyed part 1. He did seem underprepared for the cycling and did moan a bit, but it didn't put me off. The roads = good, driving = bad!

I have part 2 recorded to watch tonight.

ColinJ

I just watched part 2. All I can say is ... Ha ha ha - that was crazy! You have to applaud his efforts, even if though his preparation for those events was minimal.

I would have been freaking out when stuck out in the Amazon rainforest at night in a huge thunderstorm, with an injured knee, and trying to navigate by headtorch!

It is funny that he is doing things many times harder than most of us would ever dream of attempting, but they are only 'training' for his 'project x' in Antarctica!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I don't now why I've kept watching it - he's a serial drama queen and whinger. He keeps banging on about how tough each event is but never mentions the other competitors who beat him handsomely.

ColinJ

I'll forgive him all that ...

What I found totally unbelievable was that he would undertake such an expedition on a 6,000 calorie a day deficit, and even worse - to not have anticipated the need for a 'thermal codpiece'! :eek:

I wear shorts under my cycling tights once temperatures drop below about 5 degrees. I wouldn't go near anywhere really cold without A LOT of insulation. Penile gangrene is not on my bucket list! :laugh:

Top Bottom