TV system....sound bar problem. Any ideas??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
We have a system consisting of.....
TV
Virgin box
Separate sound bar.
Problem......
Every now and then the sound bar refuses to work. It looks good. It lights up. The volume 'indicator' shows up/down.....just no sound.
If I switch everything off and reboot it....its fine......for another few weeks.
Any ideas ??

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I don't have an answer but I'm keen to hear the replies as I have a setup problem of my own. If you get yours answered I may piggy-back mine on here too, if you don't mind.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
How is the sound bar connected to the TV????

mine is connected via an optical cable into the back of the TV and controlled by the same remote as the SKY Q.......

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You have accidentally muted the Virgin box audio?

I sometimes have a similar problem when I don't notice that I have muted the audio from my Freesat box. (I can mute it on the soundbar and box independently.)

keithmac

Guru
I have a problem with our Toshiba 4k TV, when the digital output is set to Compressed (Dolby Digital 5.1) sometimes the output to out Sonos Playbar doesn't work.

If you set it to digital output PCM then it works everytime (but only stereo).

Definitely the TV as our old Samsung with the Playbar never had an issue.

If you toggle TV between Compressed and PCM it will magically sort itself out.

The Toshiba has a few other issues as well so back to Samsung for our next TV.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
How is the sound bar connected to the TV????

mine is connected via an optical cable into the back of the TV and controlled by the same remote as the SKY Q.......
Well......remember you are talking to Mr Technothick here......its all cables and have their own remote.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Same setup but sometimes the TiVo box doesn’t switch over on the hdmi. Also had sound issue as well again sound bar is connected to the TV over hdmi. I’ve just learnt to live with it this far. Doesn’t happen often . I do wonder it’s it’s some sort of energy saving thing acting up ?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
With the optical cable my sound bar switches on as soon as I turn the TV on, the sound is then controlled all with the one remote ( for me skyQ remote)

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Same setup but sometimes the TiVo box doesn’t switch over on the hdmi. Also had sound issue as well again sound bar is connected to the TV over hdmi. I’ve just learnt to live with it this far. Doesn’t happen often . I do wonder it’s it’s some sort of energy saving thing acting up ?
If I pause what I am watching for maybe 10 minutes the sound bar will switch off BUT comes back on when I press the green button.
The real problem is, when I turn the system on then......just sometimes......the soundbar just does not work. I reboot everything and bingo! its all fine until the next time.

Top Bottom