TW-bents Rear Suspension Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

billym0404

i'm going to put suspension on the back, i used to convert motor bikes to trikes a long time ago but stopped and dont really have many tools. ive started, but its very important that i dont alter the tw bent orginal bits in any way so the new back end will be a bold on as well.

bought to dat a full new suspension frame and some 50mm round tube. ive devised the back end bit and how it will fit. but i have a little issue the seat on the bent is part of the frame. so i have to work out how to make some brackets and a clamp to fit to the none suspension side of the new back end. i would like to find some bolt on clamps what i can attach straight bar to. any ideas. ive added some pics of where im at and the clamps and bars will go from A to B and 2 lots instead of one as the angles are different so i will need 2 for extra seat strenth.

Attachments

• original.JPG
    original.JPG
    192.2 KB · Views: 69
  • rear attachement.JPG
    rear attachement.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 57
  • rear 1.jpg
    rear 1.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 57
  • rear 2.JPG
    rear 2.JPG
    168.6 KB · Views: 56
  • P9020114.JPG
    P9020114.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 62

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
i would like to find some bolt on clamps what i can attach straight bar to. any ideas. ive added some pics of where im at and the clamps and bars will go from A to B and 2 lots instead of one as the angles are different so i will need 2 for extra seat strenth.

Would these be the kind of thing ? NEW RUBBER LINED STEEL VIBRATION PIPE CLAMP / MUNSEN RINGS 50-56mm – PACK OF 11 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-RUBBE...MUNSEN-RINGS-50-56mm-PACK-OF-11-/201924640701

I'm experimenting with difference size versions of these to mount items to my Hase Lepus - its rear suspension/axle is constructed from different diameter tubes, and these rubber-lined clamps seem to attach securely - I'm planning to use several, in different positions, to mount a new carrier basket.

Last edited:

fixedfixer

Veteran
Hi, a clamp could be made like the one below. This is not my handy work but belongs to a member on BentRiderOnline (hope they don't mind a copy here). It would not involve any modification of your frame. You need a tube with and internal the same as the external you wish to mount it to. Braze some stud bolts and then cut down middle.
IMG_6451.jpg

OP
OP
B

billym0404

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

billym0404

Hi, a clamp could be made like the one below. This is not my handy work but belongs to a member on BentRiderOnline (hope they don't mind a copy here). It would not involve any modification of your frame. You need a tube with and internal the same as the external you wish to mount it to. Braze some stud bolts and then cut down middle.
View attachment 369674

yes i may well end up doing that.

fixedfixer

Veteran
I'm about to try it with my USS homebuild. I'll be using MIG as I can't get sufficient heat out of my MAPP torch to melt bronze.

OP
OP
B

billym0404

yest considered them, ive used them many times but the wont suit. think i have an idea that will suss it now

OP
OP
B

billym0404

some of my new tools arrived to day a no gas mig and bench drill. hi havnt welded in about 5 years and never used a no gas one. being honest its not to bad. does the job and with a bit of grinding and practice it should be good. ive also sussed the second fixing poit. ive added some pictures though the welding needs tidying up lol the bracket picture is just to give me an idea of what i need to make

Attachments

• P9030115.JPG
    P9030115.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 57
  • P9030116.JPG
    P9030116.JPG
    228.2 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
B

billym0404

so, had some chew. got everything done and built. made some struts for the ally frame bits i got. fitted everything and it looked good. couple of presses and everything worked. than i really hard press down full force to make sure. both the ally brackets snapped lol. so redid everything and now my full wait on the back and everythings good.
i then decided to put the electric wheel in, bugger the wheel fitments were different and far longer so the wheel wouldn't go in. grinder out slight cut and bosh the wheel went in. that's when a noticed there was no derialler hole on the new bit. after an hour searching a found one, bit of grinding and got it to fit. so i went to put my adapter rear disc on, same problem as the angles that the wheel went in were different, so now i'll have to redo that. also i no the mudguard wont fit as i used the fitments for something else. give up for today lol

OP
OP
B

billym0404

back end finished and working just meeds a pain now. seem to work well though quite a chew with the rear derailer.

Attachments

• P9060121.JPG
    P9060121.JPG
    225.5 KB · Views: 58
Top Bottom