Tweaking gears and other rants

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Okay here goes, a number of weeks ago I had what I thought was a BB go in under 500 miles - basically there was play in the wrong direction ie. left to right. I took it to the LBS and they fixed it and the makers Ribble, decided if there was anything wrong they'd refund the cost of the spent BB. In any case in my mind it was better than sending the whole bike back to Lancashire.

I posted on here about this and a few kind souls replied mentioning the facing. I mentioned this to the LBS when they fixed the new BB and said that they were unsure whether the frame was right or not due to the end not being flush etc. I then got worried and sent the bike (well everything minus wheels and seat) back to Ribble....the conclusion, nothing wrong with either the BB or the frame. Ribble went to the effort of sending photos of my frame vs others which were new. They sent the bike back but what really irks me is why there is such a difference of opinion on what should be such a basic issue?

So, first question should I ask the LBS for a refund for the BB which they replaced when Ribble replaced the original and said there was nothing wrong with it? I'm pissed off because I genuinely don't know who is right or wrong?

On top of this, the other annoyance is that the gears need tweaking, no doubt as a result of transit. I spent a stressful couple of hours packing my frame/mechs and though Ribble did a reasonable job sending it back, it doesn't feel like it's a new bike anymore with the odd little nick here and there. (Probably just need some reassurance here fellow readers).

Anyway, what should I do. If I'm honest, morally I should have words with the LBS but having had my new-born son so ill in hospital recently, I don't know whether I can be arsed or whether I should just vote with my feet.

Here is a photo of the rear mech that is '...still a bit out' according to the LBS and TBH although I've booked it in for them to do this, I'm reluctant to let them anywhere near it again, but feel if I can't get it elsewhere then I don't have much choice.

So, can I do this myself? I know that the rear mech, a SRAM Rival, has the left and right screws to adjust the mech so any guidance on the way to this would be most appreciated. Even if I can get it nearly and roadworthy enough to the better bike shop some 15 miles away I'd prefer that.

IMG-20110610-00238.jpg IMG-20110610-00239.jpg Photo0063.jpg

The one on the left is a brand new New Ribble Sportive, the second is my own and the 3rd picture is how far out the rear mech appears to be.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Sorry I never read the BB issue thread, but regarding the rear mech, if your saying it is a bit "out" meaning it is resting too far towards the top of the photo when in top (highest) gear, the way to deal with that is to adjust the H limit screw on the mech (there is a L and a H). The easiest way to do that is to switch into the next gear first, then turn the H screw clockwise by 1/4 turn, switch back into the highest gear see where it is, if still too far out repeat etc.

Obviously you should check the mech is fully screwed into the hanger first.

Or just follow this. Their instruction doesn't say switching into a lower gear before adjusting the screw - but the screw is in compression when in the highest gear so it is much more likely to damage the screw head if one doesn't switch into a lower gear before adjusting.

Dings and scratches on a new pride and joy is always hurtful. But of course they happen sooner or later, just a matter of time really. Good luck! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
Sorry I never read the BB issue thread, but regarding the rear mech, if your saying it is a bit "out" meaning it is resting too far towards the top of the photo when in top (highest) gear, the way to deal with that is to adjust the H limit screw on the mech (there is a L and a H). The easiest way to do that is to switch into the next gear first, then turn the H screw clockwise by 1/4 turn, switch back into the highest gear see where it is, if still too far out repeat etc.

Obviously you should check the mech is fully screwed into the hanger first.

Or just follow this. Their instruction doesn't say switching into a lower gear before adjusting the screw - but the screw is in compression when in the highest gear so it is much more likely to damage the screw head if one doesn't switch into a lower gear before adjusting.

Dings and scratches on a new pride and joy is always hurtful. But of course they happen sooner or later, just a matter of time really. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Many thanks...

Top Bottom