Twist and go ebike for someone with limited mobility?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Even with the new rules twist throttles are not illegal, but their use has been changed since Jan 2016. I've seen the legal documentation available and concur with this no nonsense statement.

"Harmonisation with EU law has had an important effect on electric bikes with ‘twist and go’ throttles that can take the bike to full speed without any pedalling at all.

From January 1 2016, the only throttles legal within the UK’s EAPC legislation are those that assist the rider without pedalling up to a maximum speed of 6 km/h (3.7 mph) – i.e. starting assistance only.

If the rider is rolling – but not pedalling – faster than 6km/h, the throttle cuts off. If the cyclist pedals at the same time then the throttle can still assist up to the general limit of 15.5mph.

If you bought an ebike with a full-speed throttle before January 1 2016, don’t panic: those sold prior to this date are still considered as EAPC and do not require a registration or taxed. Practically, you could still buy one a ‘twist and go’ and not be fined, but it would have to have been produced or imported before January 1."

D

Deleted member 26715

I bought my wife a Freego hawk (is that right?) that had a throttle but they are HEAVY & probably not what the OP needs, unfortunately what they do require is illegal unless there is some blue badge type of exemption.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Looks like rider weight does play a large part, so a legal motor with a throttle might do the OP.

He's largely right about that as well, although it is slightly more complicated.

Ebikes were governed by an EU directive which stipulated 200w, however at some point the UK negotiated an easement, allowing 250w.

I'm not sure of the dates and the sequence, but the few surviving bikes from the late 90s are often 200w, particularly those with the Panasonic crank drive motor which was one of the first motors of that type to come to market.
Ah ............ I see thanks

Tenkaykev

Guru
I’m not sure how the bicycle motor manufacturers rate the motor power but from personal experience of working with ( mainly industrial) motors there is usually a “S” rating on the data plates. A S1 rating meant that the motor can provide the power stated indefinitely and higher S numbers limited the time on load within a specific time period. Things like wood cutting tools for example could provide a lot of power for relatively short periods of time but then needed another period of time “ off load “ to allow the windings to cool down. A nominal 250 watt motor for example could provide 500 watts but only for a short while. It was also common for the motors to have fast acting thermistors embedded in the windings to cut the power should the temperature rise to potentially damaging levels ( a cheaper solution was the “ Klixon” but that’s comparatively slower acting and didn’t always act in time )

CXRAndy

Guru
Most manufacturers use 250W constant use. Actually they can run much more, probably 750W for periods of time.

The rules need to be reviewed, relaxed if UK governments want folk out of cars

the snail

Guru
Even with the new rules twist throttles are not illegal, but their use has been changed since Jan 2016. I've seen the legal documentation available and concur with this no nonsense statement.
Correct. Throttles are still legal, but the throttle has to be activated by a pedal sensor. So the OP can buy a bike with a cadence sensor and throttle. You have to turn the pedals to activate the throttle, but then it's effectively twist and go, you don't have to actually put any force into pedaling. Or you just buy an illegal kit that effectively works just the same without the pretence of pedaling. The law is pretty stupid really.

Top Bottom