Twitching muscles when cooling down.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have noticed small twitches in my lower leg muscles when flopped out in a chair cooling down after a ride seems to go on about 30 minutes or more.Theres no feeling but its quite visible ie you wouldnt know it was occuring if you were wearing longs.

Whats that all about?

A hard ride will have helped deplete your electrolyte levels as well as the amounts of other substances that are used by your body to transmit nerve impulses to your muscles and that allow your muscles to respond to those impulses. Drinking well (maybe even an electrolyte replacement drink) and consuming sources of the correct minerals e.g. magnesium and potassium (bananas are good) should lessen the twitching - unless you've got rabies.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Thanks for the info benborp.Will fit a few more bananas into the diet.

Erm... I dont think i have rabies so sounds like nothing out of the ordinary.Though I have been foaming at the mouth and barking at the moon a bit lately :-)

navrat_biker

yeah you can increase your magnesium and potassium that should sort it. when i ride i take a recovery drink that has this in it to combat that and get the best out my reocvery time. anything you take should be within the first 30 minutes of exercise. try high 5 zero as a drink as this is no cals, plenty electrolytes with salts and magnesium,zinc and will help in many ways.

Top Bottom