Two day Lon Las Cymru?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Got a few days spare this summer and want to do a mini UK tour/challenge. I'm thinking of riding the Lon Las Cymru again but this time using my lighter audax bike, bivvying where I can and completing it in 2/7 or so. I'll detour the rougher sections. Probably south to north again. Has anyone on here done it in this kind of time before? I'm sure many are able. I'm not looking to be the fastest but I do want a personal challenge. If anyone can offer any tips, particularly good bivvy spots, i would be very grateful. Also wouldn't be averse to like minded company...

I did the Lon Las Cymru South to North back in March. Not in 2 days though; I did it over 7 days & in cheapish accommodation. Sorry, I haven't got any tips I can pass on.

Bodhbh

Guru
Well, thanks to this thread, in a week or so I'll be doing it over 4 days (I needed a route up to Manchester from Salisbury, was stuck for inspiration and this is as good as anything - mustn't forget to turn right at Bangor).

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Well, thanks to this thread, in a week or so I'll be doing it over 4 days (I needed a route up to Manchester from Salisbury, was stuck for inspiration and this is as good as anything - mustn't forget to turn right at Bangor).
If you spot anywhere that looks sheltered for a potential bivvy at about 125 -140 miles please make a note of it for me. Pictures would be great too! Many thanks.

Enjoy your trip.

Bodhbh

Guru
If you spot anywhere that looks sheltered for a potential bivvy at about 125 -140 miles please make a note of it for me. Pictures would be great too! Many thanks.

Enjoy your trip.

I'll keep an eye out. 125-140 miles into the offical route? I'l do it by the book, it's cheaper getting the sustrans maps than the OS landranger.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
South to North, 140 miles will put you a few miles south of Dolgellau I think. There's a decent basic campsite on the A487 around that distance I stayed at on my 5 day tour in March called Cwmrhwyddfor Farm. £5 for the night, big camping field, with shower block and toilets on the side of Cader Idris. Absolutely no phone signal though.

Also thinking about it, a couple miles before the campsite on the same road was a visitors centre place that had a big car park and grass/tree area that may be ok for a bivvy (I didn't stop to look sorry). The centre only opened daytime hours, and it was remote enough not to have many visitors at night.

If you are riding this at speed, then a few warnings. The Taff trail is Anti-cycle gate heavy, and there's one section of steps near Aberfan. Out of the North of Merthyr is an unsealed track that may slow you down on thinner tyres. Also avoid the off-road section just before Pencelli which i had to be careful on with 35mm touring tyres fitted.

Other off road bits are the trail from Dolgellau to the Barmouth Bridge (there are on road options here), and the first climb out of Porthmadog which was rough enough to shake my Garmin off it's mount.

Last edited:

Bodhbh

Guru
Sorry I'm late to reply and I'm afraid I won't be much use anyhow. I reckoned 125 - 140 miles into the trip was roughly the section between Llanidloes and Machynlleth, but I started at Cardiff and did the slight detour to Hay for the festival. There are plenty of small enclosed fields on the climb out of Llanidloes which I reckon would be a go-er. Also, when you hit Hafren(??) Forest there's a few spots, either on grassy banks behind piles of logs or the picnic area, where you should be okay for a night if you can stay out of sight from the road. In the forest tho, you may risk getting moved on by rangers. I didn't get any photos as I was struggling myself a bit that day, trying to keep up to schedule despite a headwind and not great weather.

Overall tho, I found it a great ride - plenty of variation, quiet, well chosen route, amazing scenery. Less hilly than I expected, and *most* of the long climbs were not too stiff gradient-wise (a few short sharp shocks on the 'flat' sections). Could have easily have taken double the time and explored more, but oh well, other commitments etc.

Twowheelxtc

Two days is quite doable if you're fit...but it's a beautiful ride......unless you're really short of time why not savour it and take your time. I rode Llon Las for the second time recently and we took 4 days. That was about right (a personal thing I know) as it left time for photography, Ospreys on the nest, coffee/cake and lunch stops etc.
Gales, thunder and hail storms, rain and cold did slow us just a little though!!

Top Bottom