Two female city cycles - c2c in 3 days - any tips?!

Two city-cyclers hoping to do the C2C in 2.75 days - possible?

• Yes with struggle

• Yes with challenge but joy

• With ease

• Absolutely not

Results are only viewable after voting.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gina92

Hi everyone,

My friend and I just booked tickets to Ravenglass and back from Newcastle over the next bank holiday. We will have all of Saturday, all of Sunday and Monday until 17:58 to do the Coast to Coast, and get ourselves back to Newcastle in time.

We cycle in London every day and love it, but are quite worried about the hills on the C2C. Does anyone have any tips for us? Are we mad for hoping to get there in this time frame? Where do people like to stay on the C2C when going for 2.75-3 days? And how many hours do you usually cycle for?

Any responses much appreciated!

Thanks,

Gina

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Travel light, air b&b for overnight stops. My wife and three freinds did Lancaster to Saltburn last year, took them 2 days, make sure bikes are in good condition, and be prepared for punctures, Take it nice and easy you will be fine, Good luck.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Silloth on the first night, Twice Brewed YHA on the second night. It comes out at roughly 50,70,50 miles from memory. As above one set of clothes for riding and one set for the evening. Keep the bikes lightly laden. Hills are mostly second day, once past Carlisle, plus start of third day. The finish into Newcastle is along the Tyne and pretty flat. Just pick your lowest gears and take your time. Walk the hills if you have to, they are only really steep (in places) in the centre section near Hadrians Wall. Start early, good breakfast and stop for lunch / mid day break then finish off.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
On road or off road? It can make a hell of a difference, plus what type of bikes are you using and how many miles can you comfortably ride in a day now?

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
My friend has just done it. She was with a group but mainly just cycled at the back with her friend, the two slowest of the group. The rest waited for them when they had mechanical issues - she's a qualified mechanic!

She'd done a couple of 50-milers to train but not a lot more riding as she works full time. She says to watch out for the hills with false summits :smile:

lane

Veteran
Definately doable in three days I have done it and slightly more in that time. It's reasonably flat for the most part until the Pennines (with the exception off the pass before Keswick) the bit over the pennines is a bit tough but it finishes generally down hill. I would agree travel light and B&B. You will feel a great sense of accomplishment when you finish. If you get a tail wind it will help.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Hi everyone,

My friend and I just booked tickets to Ravenglass and back from Newcastle over the next bank holiday. We will have all of Saturday, all of Sunday and Monday until 17:58 to do the Coast to Coast, and get ourselves back to Newcastle in time.

I take it 17.58 is your train from Newcastle.

Worth remembering the ride finishes at Tynemouth, which is a flat 12 miles further on from Newcastle.

It's an extra couple of hours there and back, so on the last day you will need to be going through Newcastle by 15.30 or so to be confident of getting to Tynemouth and back for your train.

Quite a few C2C riders stop on their last night at Parkhead Station, which is on the route.

That would give you 50-odd miles to do to Tynemouth, plus the run back to Newcastle.

A prompt start that morning should do it, although I would want to get going by about 8am to allow for some stops, sightseeing and photos.

http://www.parkheadstation.co.uk/

lane

Veteran
What are you using for navigation? Route finding can cost time - while since I did it but signage wasn't always good.

Top Bottom