Two friends=two cycling accidents in one week

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
Two friends last week have ended up falling off there bikes and hurting themselves. The first one ended up with a suspected broken wrist and a black eye. He took the drop kerb at to shallow an angle and the front wheel lost grip throwing him off the bike. He ended up having a week off work nursing his wounds. Fortunately his wrist was not broken.
The second accident was another friend riding an Ebike. For some reason the front plastic Mud guard managed to fold in on itself and get wedged between the tyre and tops of the fork resulting in him flying over the handle bars. He landed on his chin and hand.
Hes ended up with a broken wrist and a few stitches on his chin. I've only ever heard of front mudguard accidents like this here on cycle chat, and personally considered them a rare occurrence. Obviously I was quite wrong 😬

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
For some reason the front plastic Mud guard managed to fold in on itself and get wedged between the tyre and tops of the fork resulting in him flying over the handle bars. He landed on his chin and hand.
Hes ended up with a broken wrist and a few stitches on his chin. I've only ever heard of front mudguard accidents like this here on cycle chat, and personally considered them a rare occurrence. Obviously I was quite wrong 😬
I went in a little LBS years ago and asked about mudguards. The owner launched into a tirade about using them on racing bikes. He told me that one of his best mates had been killed when the same thing happened to him! :eek:

Secu-clips are supposed to prevent that happening.

Drago

Legendary Member
We've been here before with this one. I once turned out to a bad smack where a lad with no mudguards had picked up a stick in his front wheel and it had jammed between the tyres and the rear of the fork crown, causing a tarmac-face spacial incompatibilty event.

And not a mudguard in sight.

As regards mudguards themselves, thet don't spontaneously fold into the wheel without warning. It takes either outside influence, or a failure - people take the pith out of me for pre ride checks, but I still have all my teeth.

D

Deleted member 1258

I went in a little LBS years ago and asked about mudguards. The owner launched into a tirade about using them on racing bikes. He told me that one of his best mates had been killed when the same thing happened to him! :eek:

Secu-clips are supposed to prevent that happening.

A few years ago I had one bike with the clips and one bike without, I was riding the bike without when I got my toe tangled up in the mudguard causing it to jam the front wheel and bring me down, fortunately I was trickling at walking pace and didn't do to much damage, now both bikes have the clips on, I also use the clips on the back of my fixed, the bike has track ends on it and it makes it easier to take the wheel out of the fixed with mudguards on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a similar incident as Dave.

I put mudguards on the summer bike and setting off one day and turning I caught the guard with my foot and it folded up on the tyre and I went down.

Only very slow - you don't turn your wheel at speed.

Now I have a winter bike with proper clearance and it's no issue.

Accidents do happen but they're rare. If we were all breaking bones each week there wouldn't be many cyclists persisting.

D

Deleted member 1258

I had a similar incident as Dave.

I put mudguards on the summer bike and setting off one day and turning I caught the guard with my foot and it folded up on the tyre and I went down.

Only very slow - you don't turn your wheel at speed.

Now I have a winter bike with proper clearance and it's no issue.

Accidents do happen but they're rare. If we were all breaking bones each week there wouldn't be many cyclists persisting.

Because I'm a short arse and ride small frames I always have toe over lap on my bikes, most of the time I doesn't cause problems, but turning my fixed at low speed can be interesting, it was the geared bike that didn't have clips on.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Because I'm a short arse and ride small frames I always have toe over lap on my bikes, most of the time I doesn't cause problems, but turning my fixed at low speed can be interesting, it was the geared bike that didn't have clips on.
Just unclip the outside foot, and either push with just the toe on the pedal, or pedal one-legged

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had a twig flip up behind my front mudguard on one bike. Fortunately, it was a Roadracer mudguard with plastic stays which snapped under the strain, preventing anything serious happening.

I have conventional mudguards on my CAADX. Those mudguards are attached using Secu-clips.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Why not make a third friend and try proof by induction?

CharleyFarley

Accidents happen when you least expect them. (There's a song about that.)

I got back into cycling about five years ago and have had one bad accident. It was on a dead end street, early in the morning. I knew the road but was trying to get a photo of the sunrise, so I hurried to get past an electrical pylon that was in the way. I didn't know the last 100 feet of the road was private, belonging to a gun club. So it was dark, and I was hurrying because the sun rise changes in a minute. Suddenly I was flying through the air and came down flat on my chest. I had a camera on a lanyard around my neck, and it got between my ribs and the road. I don't know whether I broke one or two ribs but it was extremely painful and took several weeks to heal. I also lost skin off my elbows and knees.

I laid there in the road, feeling the road grit under my head, afraid to move too quickly in case I'd broken something else. Out of the darkness a woman's voice said, "You're trespassing!" She pointed to a sign on a post which couldn't be seen in the dark, and it was several feet from the road. Then she said, "I had that speed bump installed because the road ends." That bump was way too high but because it was on her land, she could make it as high as she wanted. Stupid, though, because the only other people who go down that road are the gun club members.

Top Bottom