Two man tent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2PedalsTez

Über Member
I need some advice on buying a two man tent. The main use will be for my son who may need it for his scout trips etc.
It is unlikely to get frequent use, so spending big bucks is not the plan! (although equally I don't want to buy a 'value' type and find it is a bit too 'value'!!)
Should there be other things beyond the tent that I need to consider buying at the time (ground sheet etc?)
Also where to buy?

Thanks..

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I need some advice on buying a two man tent. The main use will be for my son who may need it for his scout trips etc.
It is unlikely to get frequent use, so spending big bucks is not the plan! (although equally I don't want to buy a 'value' type and find it is a bit too 'value'!!)
Should there be other things beyond the tent that I need to consider buying at the time (ground sheet etc?)
Also where to buy?

Thanks..

The Vango brand is usually good VFM. Sleeping bag and mat are the two other things that spring to mind.

crow_bag

Amazon have some cheap Coleman and Gelert two man tents Amazon.co.uk 2 man tents they seem alright and have some good reviews and have integrated ground sheets.

Can't think of much else you'd need really, maybe spare guyropres/poles though I've never had a tent where either of these have broken. If it'll mainly be used for your sons scout stuff will it need to be small and light enough to be carried? As this could also affect the price

*edited to change link to a more helpful page

The Vango brand is usually good VFM. Sleeping bag and mat are the two other things that spring to mind.

+1

I have the Vango Halo 300 (bit more spacious than the 200) and like it very much.

Exped mats are expensive but well worth it for the comfort. Also a sleeping bag suitable for the particular season is necessary so you don't freeze/bake to death.

And a small inflatable pillow is a must-have, too.

darth vadar

Über Member
Asda are selling off their camping stuff cheap.

A two man at my local Asda is just £8.

At that price you could buy one and then just throw it away if it is no good.

dragon72

Guru
I have a Vaude Taurus Ultralight 2 man tent which I think is terrific. Packs down really small and light. I find it's a nice size for just me. If you use it as a 2 person tent, you will get to know the other occupant very well indeed, if you get what I mean.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I have a Vaude Taurus Ultralight 2 man tent which I think is terrific. Packs down really small and light. I find it's a nice size for just me. If you use it as a 2 person tent, you will get to know the other occupant very well indeed, if you get what I mean.

I always think that the tent person number should be N-1 :biggrin:

OP
OP

2PedalsTez

Über Member
Thanks guys. Always good to get a steer on things (especially as I am so clueless on tents!! :smile: )

tjw_78

Vango all the way if you're on a budget. My mum bought me a 2 man Vango for my 18th birthday. I'm now 33 and still use it all the time!

I've also got a cracking little 1 man from The North Face, and getting married has meant that I've had to get a 3 man too for all my wife's stuff (which is also a Vango), but my trusty little 2 man still gets used a lot, and will get its next outing on the Addidas Terrex c2c Aug BH w/e.

One thing though - if you can, get a footpring for it.

porteous

Veteran
Well worth getting kit that is recommended by the DofE Award Scheme, then you know it has been assessed for quite demanding use. They are very careful about what kit gets their logo, and lots of it is really quite cheap. More info here: http://www.dofe.org/...ition-kit-list/

I agree about Vango kit, been around for years and built to last. The army used them for Adventurous Training for ever!

rowan 46

Über Member
you said 2-man but you didn't say do you need bike portable, backpack, or car portable if you need bike or backpack portable weight becomes an issue as does pack size consequently cost. vango DofE stuff is good but its heavy as is its force 10 stuff. your son is in the scouts not ventures? So 4/5 season is unlikely to be needed.
The average lifespan of a modern polyester tent is 4-weeks summer sun for 5 years so don't be tempted to buy any of the ex display stuff that is around at the moment you need a minimum 3000hh for british weather 1500hh is rated waterproof by the british army but campers recommend 3000hh.
Even more than bikes production of tents is centred in china in fact 90% are made at the same factory complex so what you are paying for is design and quality control. Avoid halfords and argos you can get decent tents from them but the QC at the factory is not so good and quality is very variable likewise gelert their top of the range is ok but design is not as good as some. If you are going for a pop up tent quetcha by decathlon are highly rated however pop ups are light but not very portable because of their pack shape. Always avoid Ebay own brand eg rage they are the bso of the tent world usually low hh and thin poles that snap.
Footprint groundsheets are a good idea to protect the tent but obviously add to weight and are pricey typically 20-45 pound depending on models cheaper to buy a tarpaulin from b&q and cut it to size.
vango do various ranges so be careful, their budget ranges are as bad as anybody's. outwell have a good name in the camping world but their 2 man stuff is not highly rated.
north face is highly rated but pricey
vaude or wild country which is its budget subsidiary are good, the coleman 2man tents are highly rated as are aztec.
In general the more portable the tent the pricier it becomes. As has been mentioned if portability is not essential you should be looking at 3 man tents as 2 person tents are very snug hope this helps

Top Bottom