Two new additions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Warny

Über Member
I've recently picked up a couple of road bikes and would appreciate some feedback please^_^
First is a Raleigh Royale which seems to be from 1981. The 'Royal' ones seem to have all had a 531 frame, mine is 20-30 tubing and Shimano components, not bad nick for the year.
Also a Claud Butler which brake levers suggest 1976. Smaller frame and has parts have been changed over time, currently a 5-speed with Shimano stuff on. Very light and nimble though, can't make out the name as the decals have mostly come off. 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 040.JPG 041.JPG 042.JPG

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nice :becool:

OP
OP
W

Warny

Über Member
Thanks both, I've not really got room to keep them but never mind! Looking online Claud Butler bikes from the 70's/80's have mixed reviews, any thoughts? At least with the 531 frame and only 5-speed mine is pretty light.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Both very nice. You can't really go wrong with a Raleigh of that era that comes ready-fitted with mudguards and a rear rack, plus suicide levers. Would make a very useful utility runabout and not silly valuable to leave unattended
The CB looks to be 531 throughout, very good quality. If you come from Cambridge I would have thought it would be flat enough for a 5 speed to be OK, especially as it's very light. Maybe fit a 6 speed 14-28 freewheel to give you closer ratio steps at the top end, so you go from 18T to 16T to 14T rather than 17T to 14T?. Makes the higher gears noticeably more leg-friendly with regard to cadence and effort needed.

Thanks both, I've not really got room to keep them but never mind! Looking online Claud Butler bikes from the 70's/80's have mixed reviews, any thoughts? At least with the 531 frame and only 5-speed mine is pretty light.
It is amazing how you can find the room to store an extra bike.

I see that you have also chosen similar colours so that when asked you can say it is the same bike . :whistle:

OP
OP
W

Warny

Über Member
I've ridden the CB over the weekend, 5-speed does certainly seem enough for Cambridge and the surroundings. The BB is a little loose, and clanks a bit at times, so I'll have to get that sorted. Apart from that all seems well:-)

OP
OP
W

Warny

Über Member
Looking online I've now identified the Claud Butler as an Electron! Apparently you could have 5 or 10 speed back in the day. Think mine must have been towards the end of manufacture, as not in the 1977 brochure. Brakes and rims might be original but everything else has been changed over the years. Still, not too shabby!

Oldfentiger

Veteran
65B734B8-6E09-4260-9DF0-703D223F18B5.jpeg
Yes, I thought Electron too. I have a 1976 Electron Super 10, with the original Campagnolo components including Nuovo Valentino mechs.
The forks are labelled as 531, but the frame isn’t, and the catalogue doesn’t describe the frame as 531
However, it’s a very light bike. In fact it’s a whole Kg lighter than my 531 Clements!

OP
OP
W

Warny

Über Member
Thanks for the pic, your CB looks great, and original too:smile: What wheels do you have on it? I think mine are Rigida but they have seen better days....

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The forks are labelled as 531, but the frame isn’t, and the catalogue doesn’t describe the frame as 531 However, it’s a very light bike. In fact it’s a whole Kg lighter than my 531 Clements!

Its highly unlikely anyone would spec a bike with 531 forks unless the rest of the frame was 531, as the biggest weight saving comes from the main tubes, and having at least the main tubes in 531 has got to be a better selling point than building a hi-tensile frame then just fitting 531 forks only.

Top Bottom