two new tubes no puncture and deflation..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ged85

Hey all,

I was riding my road bike over a fairly rough trail, and the back tyre started to deflate. I tried to reinflate the tube but no air got into it. A passing cyclist stopped to have a look and said the valve stem had partially detached from the tube. He suggested i had no option but a new tube.

A friend came out to where I was with a new tube, fitted it, inflated it and I completed another ride of a couple of hours. However, as I tried to cycle to work this morning, the tyre remained at a low pressure and then about half a mile down the road deflated completely. This time the tyre is allowing air in, but it does not stay there. I cannot see any obvious puncture. It seems odd that a similar thing should happen with two different tubes within the space of two different days.

Bit frustrating, just as I was getting into cycling to work as well..

Any ideas?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
ged85 said:
Hey all,

I was riding my road bike over a fairly rough trail, and the back tyre started to deflate. I tried to reinflate the tube but no air got into it. A passing cyclist stopped to have a look and said the valve stem had partially detached from the tube. He suggested i had no option but a new tube.

A friend came out to where I was with a new tube, fitted it, inflated it and I completed another ride of a couple of hours. However, as I tried to cycle to work this morning, the tyre remained at a low pressure and then about half a mile down the road deflated completely. This time the tyre is allowing air in, but it does not stay there. I cannot see any obvious puncture. It seems odd that a similar thing should happen with two different tubes within the space of two different days.

Bit frustrating, just as I was getting into cycling to work as well..

Any ideas?

Since air is leaking from somewhere, have you tried putting it under water to pinpoint it?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
could be bad luck.

however, presta valves are easy to damage with clumsy pump handling (done it myself), especially if they're of poor quality to start with. I've also learned the hard way that perished rim tape (that covers the spoke holes in the wheel rim) can cause punctures for 'no obvious reason'.

you are remembering to screw the valve cap back on aren't you? screwing the plastic cap back on is not enough; the little screw must be tight in the valve aren't you?

oh, and welcome to the forum :tongue:

ACW

had it happen quite regularly on my road bike, tubes would only last about 6 months then the valve stem would come loose, i put it down to the holes in the wheel rim being a bit to large an me using the tyres at max pressure.

OP
OP
G

ged85

Hey all,

Well I got it back and noticed that there was a tiny thorn in the tyre. Repaired this with a puncture repair kit as I had no tube, inflated it above normal size and then heard no further hissing, unfortunately same story when i reattached it to the wheel . Bought some slime filled tubes this afternoon, hopefully its a case of me missing this tiny little thorn and being shambolic at patching up punctures.

Thanks for advice everyone, and thanks for welcoming me to board. I'm in training for LEJOG in June , just took up cycling seriously last month. Based in North East.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
ged85 said:
Thanks for advice everyone, and thanks for welcoming me to board. I'm in training for LEJOG in June , just took up cycling seriously last month. Based in North East.
North East of what ? There are many nations represented on CC ;)

It would seem to be a good idea to get some tube repair practice in before June :blush:

OP
OP
G

ged85

Hey scoosh, North East of England, Northern Ireland originally. What about yourself?

Yeah I daresay it probably is a good thing. Have attached the slime filled tube, removed the thorn and was a fine ride in this morning.

Im doing around 9 miles in 50 minutes to work at the moment, not sure what a good pace is really. Going to train til end of this month and then join a road club start of next month to try and push myself a bit. But i'm feeling the benefit cycling to work and back every day now.

Certain gears are causing a clicking noise on my bike now though..

OP
OP
G

ged85

well now i cant seem to hold any air in the slime filled tube, i just cant seem to get it hard enough and it still loses air over the course of my commute to work which is around 9 miles. im getting a bit frustrated here.

Top Bottom