Two phones - a good idea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Two phones is good,but the classics are Fork Handles and Ronnie Corbett's Balckberry sketch.They take some beating.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
We had three phones on our trip this summer (three of us, three phones). When mine temporarily died due to some Tuscan rain, it was such a relief to have Pog's with the route loaded on it. I'd def take two.

Thanks, Catherine.

I'm a solitary cyclist mostly and hope to do four or five mini tours in 2024.
I asked Ms AU this evening about being contactable. We don't usually make contact when we are apart, but would both get worried if we couldn't get a response for a few hours.

I'm getting a second phone.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I know there has been a discussion here about the consequences of losing a phone while away from base, but I can't find it just now.

I currently have a three year old £100 phone on a £5 per month SIM. I also carry a Monzo card. The phone does all I want, navigation, photos, communication. My information is backed up to Google and I can remember my passwords (I have a weird memory). I'm very aware that breaking this phone while away from home could cause problems.

My thought is to buy another similar phone to carry as a back up. Any thoughts?

Presumably for touring rather than day trips?

If you're confident you have passwords to get what you need, just buy a replacement if you lose it?

Less hassle than eg pringling a wheel and sorting a new one.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Thanks, Catherine.
Do what's it going to be? A yam phone (as we say here) in other words not smart and can't do much or a Smart phone? Yams are cheap as chips but cheap Smart Phones (SH) are not too reliable with updates often not available beyond a certain date. Can I suggest a iPhone SE, the original model, these date from 2016 and can be had for around £70 but will update to the latest iOS. Small too so very pocketable. No I don't have one but was considering one.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Thanks, Catherine.

I'm a solitary cyclist mostly and hope to do four or five mini tours in 2024.
I asked Ms AU this evening about being contactable. We don't usually make contact when we are apart, but would both get worried if we couldn't get a response for a few hours.

If it makes her feel more at ease about you cycling alone and brings her peace of mind, it’s a small price to pay!

I know there has been a discussion here about the consequences of losing a phone while away from base, but I can't find it just now.

I think this may be the thread.

Given that this is the Touring forum my opinion is that a second phone is a very useful addition for a solo traveller. But as always, it depends on lots of factors.

Memory can be a funny thing. Will it work normally (or weirdly in your case ^_^) under stress? Mine didn't.

However, it's not just a case of remembering your password, buying a new phone and being good to go.

The biggest issue, at least with Google, is gaining access to your accounts (even with the password) from a new (unknown) device using unfamiliar WiFi. Google won't let you.
Setting up a replacement phone at home is very different to setting one up on the road for that reason.

Care should be taken in choosing what device or email address is to be used for recovery.

Depending on how other online accounts are set up (log in through Google), losing access to Google may also deny you access to them. And, of course, there's all that data stored in Google. Your photos, perhaps, your contacts.

A second phone (or tablet), having previously been used to access accounts makes the whole process straightforward.
It's also an opportunity to track your missing phone or to lock it/delete it remotely when time may be of the essence.
A second sim card is not necessary if you have regular access to WiFi.

Public phones and internet cafés are disappearing in most places. I wouldn't like to depend on them in an emergency.

More and more a phone used as a computer is becoming essential for international travel. Border crossings may need to be registered in advance, proof of insurance, plane tickets etc. will need to be created/transported and available to show. Lose the phone, lose access to all that.

Banking is different. If using a banking app, I'd suggest making sure you know exactly how it works, especially if loading up on a new phone. I opened and closed an account here (Spain) partly because I needed to visit the bank if I wanted to change phone. That was a deal breaker. I can't speak for the UK but there are several online only options for banks that are cheap, work internationally and can be used as a backup to a regular account.

I've gone through the process twice on the road, the first with a spare tablet, the second time with nothing. The first experience was a damn sight more pleasant than the second.

And, as you've noted, there are other people involved. Their peace of mind has to be worth something, too.

Less hassle than eg pringling a wheel and sorting a new one.
Having done both, my wheel pringling experience was my favourite! ^_^

On the subject of backup of your phone you could do this with a SD card and a plug in reader instead of using cloud storage:
My experience is that such SD cards do not hold up well to the kinds of conditions that they can be exposed to on the road. Memory sticks work better, or even external disks.

A Kindle can be a useful storage device for important documents like passports, tickets etc.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
My experience is that such SD cards do not hold up well to the kinds of conditions that they can be exposed to on the road. Memory sticks work better, or even external disks.

A Kindle can be a useful storage device for important documents like passports, tickets etc.
But he doesn't need to keep it 'on the road', just back up occasionally at home. Just a good cheap reliable solution. I'm not entirely sure he has a Kindle and even if he did most of basic ones have insufficient capacity for most smartphone users.

Last edited:

mercalia

I have quite a few smartphones. 6 or so Lumia 640 with windows 10 ( cost me £5-10 each) that still have some useful apps that stil work. And an Android Samsung Xcover 4s wth Android 11 and recently an XCover 5 still supported with Android 13 upto 2025 I think. Both the XCovers have replaceable batterys but not easy to get good ones for the 4s but still possible on Ebay for the XCover 5 and seem genuine @£14 or so. I have a £5/pm Lebara sim on my main Lumia 640 and a very old Classic 321 PAYG O2 sim on the 4s. The XCover 5 can be got 2nd hand mint for about £100 now so a good buy with a few replacable batterys.

But he doesn't need to keep it 'on the road', just back up occasionally at home. Just a good cheap reliable solution. I'm not entirely sure he has a Kindle and even if he did most of basic ones have insufficient capacity for most smartphone users.

The forum:
Screenshot 2023-12-16 07.28.05.png

From the OP
and
I'm very aware that breaking this phone while away from home could cause problems.

And from me

mercalia

one of the advantages of having more than one phone with you is different sims ( unless you have a dual sim phone) eg vodafone and O2 to deal with coverage issues

Top Bottom