Two questions about helmets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
When I was trying to buy my last helmet that sentence appeared everywhere and infuriated me...
angry.gif
I don't want to know that its be tested to one of the following standards - I want to know which one.

Just assume that it conforms to the lowest one ...

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Just assume that it conforms to the lowest one ...

Well it even said it on the specialized web-site - which was the helmet I ended up with, and yet on that other website it seemed to suggest that they were tested to the higher level. Just wasn't sure if it only applied to helmets bought/produced for the American market.

Thanks for the helpful post Cunobelin.

Presumably weight is also related to the number and size of the ventilation slots.

Exactly.....

The more ventilation the less material to absorb the impact. Equally the thin band of foam that remains needs to be denser, hence the addition of kevlar cages etc.

The other issue is brought up by the appropriately named Prof. Hurt in the US. He points out that the modern design and ventilation causes a thing called a "snag point" that can effectively pull the helmet from the cyclist's head in an impact. These snag points have also been linked with rotational injuries.

There is at present a theory in the US that helmet design should revert. The snag points are also thought to cause rotational and "hyperextension" injuries.

snailracer

Über Member
One advantage of cycling is that you have a choice of helmet types - there is no mandated type that must be worn. If a normal ventilated foam helmet doesn't inspire confidence, you can wear a skate helmet, full-face downhill racing helmet, skiing helmet, horseriding helmet, hard hat, motorcycle helmet, battle helmet, baseball cap, Brylcreem, etc.

Top Bottom