Two RIP in Purley on Thames, Berkshire - 14-2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-26208889

They've named the driver. His name has surprising Google results.

This is a sad story with a horrible ending.

Below is taken from his 2004 trial -

"Juliet Gibbon, defending, said the offences were partly a result of Walters' upbringing in a Soviet Union orphanage before he was adopted by a British vicar.
She said: "His early life was characterised by severe emotional deprivation.
"He was brought up thinking the world was a cold and hard place.
"But you can see the contrast between that upbringing and the lifestyle he is trying to emulate.
"He describes his offending as a 'stupid game' and says it was an addiction."
She added he was living a "fantasy lifestyle".
Walters, of Grangetown, Cardiff - who was adopted by a Welsh vicar - admitted 15 counts of fraud and two of theft and was jailed for three years on Friday.
Judge Janet Case told him: "You are only 21 but you have already forged an interesting career in crime.
"You are obviously a convincing young man and people trust you when you befriend them.
"You are intelligent enough to do better thing with your life."

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
10 years! Not very long for two lives is it? Hell probably only do 5 if he behaves himself.

That incident happend less than a mile from where I'm sitting just now, I cycle past the spot on most of my rides, only yesterday I was wondering what was happening with the case.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
10 years! Not very long for two lives is it? .

I think the maximum for death by dangerous is 14 years.

He is all but entitled to between 25 per cent and 33 per cent discount for pleading guilty which brings it down to about 10 years.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Yes, I think the judge gave him the maximum possible sentence. Not really adequate in this case, but until we re-introduce penal colonies, nothing would be for this one.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
So lets get this straight, he guys was:
Speeding, drunk, on drugs, in a stolen car, escaping from Police, with no insurance, no license and banned as a result of a previous offence.
Is there anything else he could have been doing wrong?
How tragic.

I think you misread him: raised in a Russian orphanage, adopted at age 17 by a Welsh vicar. He seems to be quite cold hearted and calculating, to put it mildly, but his previously fraud crimes make it clear that he's good of ingratiating himself. I think he's probably capable of doing whatever is required for an early release.

I don't know if Russian orphanages are anything like Romanian ones, but if so it's not surprising he is such a broken human being.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I think you misread him: raised in a Russian orphanage, adopted at age 17 by a Welsh vicar. He seems to be quite cold hearted and calculating, to put it mildly, but his previously fraud crimes make it clear that he's good of ingratiating himself. I think he's probably capable of doing whatever is required for an early release.

I don't know if Russian orphanages are anything like Romanian ones, but if so it's not surprising he is such a broken human being.
I agree with you, see my post No. 32.
He had a grim upbringing, but is intelligent and manipulative.

Top Bottom