Two, Three or Four

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Having used three and four wheels for shifting outsize loads, currently on four wheels.

Which do you use and would you move to fewer or more wheels, money permitting.

Im on 2+2 which works for me with some fairly oversized loads.

All uphill

Still rolling along
As we slowly move towards being car free I have been thinking about this.

My preference at the moment would be a two wheel bike plus trailer, but I am keen to learn more from this thread.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Would a dedicated cargo cycle put anyone off?

I appear to be at odds with most. I can run 4 + 2(nine foot trailer*), the majority seems to be 2 + 2.

Does the trailer dictate the bike used or is/was it the other way round.

*Bikes at Work trailer.

Two + two. Long-tail cargo bike plus carry freedom Y trailer. Happy with setup but would like the larger lockable load-area potential of a bakfiets style. Hard to beat the combination of handling and load-lugging that a long-tail offers though.

Would a dedicated cargo cycle put anyone off?

I appear to be at odds with most. I can run 4 + 2(nine foot trailer*), the majority seems to be 2 + 2.

Does the trailer dictate the bike used or is/was it the other way round.

*Bikes at Work trailer.
Y frame mount works best with a solid axle on vertical dropouts which was what I had. Not sure how well it works with horizontal dropouts or with qr skewers. Apart from that, almost any bike can pull.

The beryl bike share trailer(they used that to move bike from one share point to a other) was hooked up with some kind of metal bar going over the whole rear of the bike. Since the ebikes arrived they changed their ways and now use a diesel van, so i don't see them anymore. But it seemed like a sturdy construction.(seemed to equalise the forces more especially when going over a bump, trailer had space for 2/3 bikes so i guess it was needed too, all pure from observation i never worked for them nor rode with that combo.)

I find a Longtail the most versatile, partly because it rides a lot like a "normal" bike.

A Bakfiets is heavy, but has many advantages, like the fact that a 30+ kilo bike makes a good bike rack for all the others, and in a non-cycling city, pretty much un-nickable so the inbuilt lock suffices which is very convenient.

I find either preferable to trailers because they take up remarkably little storage space and I don't have to worry about hitching them; just get on and go. By the same token if I'm out on the Longtail spontaneous errands are simple because extra capacity is already there.

Last edited:
I find a Longtail the most versatile, partly because it rides a lot like a "normal" bike.
Yeah i had something like that years ago worked great, even better with a trailer behind lol.
A Bakfiets is heavy, but has many advantages, like the fact that a 30+ kilo bike makes a good bike rack for all the others, and in a non-cycling city, pretty much un-nickable so the inbuilt lock suffices which is very convenient.

I find either preferable to trailers because they take up remarkably little storage space and I don't have to worry about hitching them; just get on and go. By the same token if I'm out on the Longtail spontaneous errands are simple because extra capacity is already there.
Think you're brave with un-nickable, i now have a ''normal'' Gazelle with the same kind of lock, but have a extra lock for if i park longer than a few minutes. and not without reason came back to my bike a few weeks ago with all my wheel nuts loose, they tied to steal my rear wheel.(Nexus 7 internal gear hub often mistaken for an electric engine.)
But long story short seeing the money most transport bikes go for, i wouldn't be to sure about being ''un-nickable''