Two Tier Bike Racks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Has anyone got any experience of storage solutions of this style:-
http://www.bikedocksolutions.com/product/178.aspx

There are quite a few varieties out there but I linked to this one as it works within a 2.4m high space a lot of the others seem to need 2.6m upwards.

For those that use these style of rack how are they in reality and are there any concerns about stability or wheel damage?

I use one daily and its fine, some people may find they only use the lower rack (the upper mechanism can be heavy depending on what bike you put in there). The style I use did rub some paint off the underside of my chainstay (smaller framed bikes do not have that issue BTW) but the one pictured would not.

Sara_H

Guru
We have some similar at work, but not the two tiered ones. I wont use them as I can't find a way to get a d lock thouth the rack, frame and wheel.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Had some at my old office. Not too bad but if you had a road bike and got to work early, used the upper tier and then some numpty with an MTB used the slot next to yours it could be a faff getting your bike out.

Also some colleagues with MTBs complained of the rack banging the derailleur about a bit.

Has anyone got any experience of storage solutions of this style:-
http://www.bikedocksolutions.com/product/178.aspx

There are quite a few varieties out there but I linked to this one as it works within a 2.4m high space a lot of the others seem to need 2.6m upwards.

For those that use these style of rack how are they in reality and are there any concerns about stability or wheel damage?
They adde them about 6 months ago outside Peterborough Train Station; I've no idea how good they are though.

Pictures:

cycling_cyclepoint.jpg

See the top right hand rack, your rear wheel slips into the hoop on the underside and the upper hoop provides somewhere to fit a normal d-lock through rear wheel/frame.

EDIT

Also the picture doesnt show this well but they are all at different heights/distances from each other so that that all varieties of bike can get in there from kids trike to carbon roadie and everything in between.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
There are some at Guildford station (apparently in a secured compound), and also at Waterloo.

I hope this isn't for the garage, you've not even sorted the door out yet.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

There are some at Guildford station (apparently in a secured compound), and also at Waterloo.

I've had a nose at the Waterloo ones briefly but nobody was actually using the upper level so I didn't see it in action. However most of the ones in public places would vastly exceed my height limitations.

This may end up as bespoke only and therefore exceed my theoretical budget limitations.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

I hope this isn't for the garage, you've not even sorted the door out yet.

of course it's for the garage and it's called forward planning...the doors are sorted but don't arrive until mid/late March from Germany. These sorts of racks seem to have a 4-8 week lead time so now seemed about right.

Plus it gives my main info source....some guy called Crax, plenty of time to do his research and provide the correct solution :whistle:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Pictures:

cycling_cyclepoint.jpg

See the top right hand rack, your rear wheel slips into the hoop on the underside and the upper hoop provides somewhere to fit a normal d-lock through rear wheel/frame.

EDIT

Also the picture doesnt show this well but they are all at different heights/distances from each other so that that all varieties of bike can get in there from kids trike to carbon roadie and everything in between.

Is that the Evans cycle point overlooking the Scarborough Taps hotel and inn?

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Well the two tier option is out the window as it's just not going to work with the height limitations I have. So I'm now on to a semi vertical solution occupying the same space as my existing hanging solution, like this:-

http://www.bikedocksolutions.com/prod_name/Semi-Vertical-Bike-Rack.aspx

The standard configuration is 305mm centre to centre which seems a bit narrow to me and I'm thinking 400mm would be a better fit. I'd also add in the locking loops etc.

Again does anyone use a rack of this style and how do they find it?

Top Bottom