Two types of cheese.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know OP is looking for a quality hex set. I bought this 3 way wrench - 4/5/6 and it is the most used item and the leverage plus comfort of use are incredible.

1630298412179.png

I've been aware for a long time there are at least two different systems - I've heard the name Pozidrive before but not JIS. I've never known how to tell the difference. Is there a way to tell the difference?

I suspect all my screwdriver bits are badly mixed up. My tactic has always been to insert the driver head in the screw and twist it with my fingers. Usually I can feel I've got the right or wrong head/bit combination.
Sounds to me like you don't have any JIS screwdrivers Paul and have been using pozidrive screwdrivers on at least some of your screws which need JIS.
Or maybe you have been saved - have the idea that your bike shop does most of your fettling.
I can recommend this set and supplier to you or anyone else.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193397531585
Not expensive but then I think most of the screws I use them on don't need a lot of force - it's more a matter of the driver fitting the screw and appropriate force.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Sounds to me like you don't have any JIS screwdrivers Paul and have been using pozidrive screwdrivers on at least some of your screws which need JIS.
Or maybe you have been saved - have the idea that your bike shop does most of your fettling.
Not expensive but then I think most of the screws I use them on don't need a lot of force - it's more a matter of the driver fitting the screw and appropriate force.
You may well be right, I've no idea. Certainly my LBS does virtually all my fettling so I probably have been saved.

I have though noticed this in DIY where I do come across screws which have seem to have different cross slots. That's when I use my "feel" method.

My other approach is to only buy a specific type of screw. I always buy the gold coloured ones which seem very strong and rarely get damaged. If I'm repairing something I always replace the old screws with new where practical to minimize how often the head gets screwed.

Excuse my ignorance, you know how it is.

gasinayr

Über Member
I've been aware for a long time there are at least two different systems - I've heard the name Pozidrive before but not JIS. I've never known how to tell the difference. Is there a way to tell the difference?
Pozidrive screws have a star shaped design in the head, phillips screws have plane heads

PapaZita

Guru
There are three types of ”cross” shaped screw.

Phillips is the basic cross shaped thing. Designed to cam out. Drivers are often labelled PH0, PH1, etc. Seem to be quite rare in the UK these days, where Pozidriv is much more common. When you think you find one consider the source of the equipment. If Japanese, think about JIS instead.

Pozidriv is sort of cross shaped, but has a subtly eight pointed star, kind of like a compass with NE, SE, SW, And NW being smaller than the four main cross directions. You can see the difference in the screw heads. Drivers are often labelled PZ1, PZ2, etc.

JIS is very like Phillips, but with subtly different dimensions and angles. Screws may be marked with a dot on the head. Less prone to cam out than Phillips. JIS drivers may work acceptably in Phillips screws, but not the other way around. Drivers can be quite hard to find. Vessel make some OK ones. Not sure if there’s standardised driver labelling. Vessel’s are P.1, P.2, etc. Others just #1, #2.

Just as important as getting the right shaped driver, is getting the right size. Just because it sort of loosely fits and let’s you twist, doesn’t mean it’s the right size. A good driver into a new screw is a very satisfying positive slop-free fit, and it’s worth learning what that feels like.

And yes, the limit adjust screws on lots of Shimano derailleurs are JIS. Curiously, for such small screws, they use the #2 size driver rather than the #1. They get chewed up easily with the wrong driver, or, if the derailleur travel is still up against the stop as you try to adjust it.

For hex keys, try Wera Hex-plus.

Retread

Regular
Cheap always ends up costing more.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Great minds , I have same screwdriver set from the same eBay seller .
Note to @PaulSB your search for Allen key set ,if you follow Blue Hills ebay link , the seller also has a good range of Allen keys .

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Cheap drills are useless, too. Drilling out only one side of a Brompton rear hinge blunted 4 x Wilko HSS drills, which appear to have taken a further step down the tat ladder since I last did this job and used 3 in total.

Bought a DeWalt cobalt drill bit and it had the bolt heads off both sides in seconds.

Top Bottom