Two winter attempts on all the Wainwrights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know that. But right after the recent heavy snow storms is clearly bad luck.
The vast majority of the snow disappeared late Monday afternoon and overnight Monday when a big front came in and raised the temperature by about 10C for a fair while. It's still pretty wet though, so I''m sure there are lots of decidedly icy bits. Being wet up on the fell most of the time is normal for December though, so the conditions are well within what would be expected at this time of year.

Do you mean James? Tom reached Cockley Beck, between Hardknott and Wrynose, at 2030 and then Hard Knott at 0130, which is about a four hour rest/sleep. James does not appear to have stopped for more than, perhaps, 30m so far though. Remarkable!

Hmm.... actually, James reached Tilberthwaite about 1.5 hours ago and has just moved again, so that was presumably a planned rest (it's marked as a checkpoint on his plan).

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Do you mean James? Tom reached Cockley Beck, between Hardknott and Wrynose, at 2030 and then Hard Knott at 0130, which is about a four hour rest/sleep. James does not appear to have stopped for more than, perhaps, 30m so far though. Remarkable!

Hmm.... actually, James reached Tilberthwaite about 1.5 hours ago and has just moved again, so that was presumably a planned rest (it's marked as a checkpoint on his plan).

Hadn‘t spotted that longer stop.

James is having a much longer stop, having not left Kentmere after arriving there at about 1800 today. A good call, in that the forecast for where he would have been, had he carried on is 'Minus 3C, feels like minus 14C, with wind speeds of low 40s mph, gusting mid fifties, and heavy snow'. Tom, on the other hand, carried on and is thus currently heading NNW into the 40-50 mph wind and snow. He's on relatively easy ground, but the conditions are appalling and arguably it was 'unwise' not to have a few hours out :-\

kynikos

Veteran
Tom's certainly moving very slowly since leaving Kentmere. But he's moving. Tough call isn't it?

Top Bottom