Type 2 diabetes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jonathan M

Your family history indicates a high risk. Parent with T2DM means about a 50% chance of offspring developing the condition in mid to late adulthood.

What is your BMI, and would you describe yourself as "apple" shaped, any abdominal fat/obesity?

Your symptoms and family history mean you really need definitive investigations, basically the GTT as mentioned above.

One problem with capilliary monitoring is that dehydration can render them less accurate (a capilliary blood glucose reading will be lower than true glucose in dehydration).

Something to consider, while you dad having T2DM increases your risks, you describe drug related pancreatic problems in the past, if there is any risk that you are insulin deficient then you possibly run the risk of a more acute presentation, similar to T1DM (but not true T1DM as this is an autoimmune condition). Insulin insufficiency means you may metabolise fat in the absence of insulin, and the body then is unable to process the remaining ketones, a fatty acid. Result can be Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA) which if not identified and treated urgently can be life threatening. Remote possibility but one that means you should be seen with a degree of urgency.

Any chance of a lack of insulin production means insulin injection therapy may be required - as it is in a lot of cases of T2DM as well, as T2DM is generally a progressive condition which progresses from diet, to tablet, to combination tablet:insulin therapy in order to maintain good glycaemic control.

Out of interest, what drug related pancreas problems have you experienced previosuly?

LLB

Jonathan M said:
Your family history indicates a high risk. Parent with T2DM means about a 50% chance of offspring developing the condition in mid to late adulthood.

What is your BMI, and would you describe yourself as "apple" shaped, any abdominal fat/obesity?

Your symptoms and family history mean you really need definitive investigations, basically the GTT as mentioned above.

One problem with capilliary monitoring is that dehydration can render them less accurate (a capilliary blood glucose reading will be lower than true glucose in dehydration).

Something to consider, while you dad having T2DM increases your risks, you describe drug related pancreatic problems in the past, if there is any risk that you are insulin deficient then you possibly run the risk of a more acute presentation, similar to T1DM (but not true T1DM as this is an autoimmune condition). Insulin insufficiency means you may metabolise fat in the absence of insulin, and the body then is unable to process the remaining ketones, a fatty acid. Result can be Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA) which if not identified and treated urgently can be life threatening. Remote possibility but one that means you should be seen with a degree of urgency.

Any chance of a lack of insulin production means insulin injection therapy may be required - as it is in a lot of cases of T2DM as well, as T2DM is generally a progressive condition which progresses from diet, to tablet, to combination tablet:insulin therapy in order to maintain good glycaemic control.

Out of interest, what drug related pancreas problems have you experienced previosuly?

The family history divulged is mine, not ChrisKH's Jonathon. I personally was getting lactic acidosis (occasional metalics) on my previous metformin, but since I went to Glucophage, all that has gone.

All interesting stuff though :biggrin:

peanut

is a UTi ruled out here ?
I have had a chronic condition for about 7 years. Periodically I get an infection which can spread to the kidneys and I get very tired all the time peeing frequently and my urine stinks. get dehydrated ,constipated and have to take rehydration salts
Occasionally I get really shaky and anxious like I have low blood sugar and have to stuff my face with sugary stuff though not sure if they are related conditions.
Dr refuses to send my urine away for tests . One of these days I'm going to fall asleep at the car wheel.

I have been advised by a physio it might be rieters syndrome?

LLB

peanut said:
is a UTi ruled out here ?
I have had a chronic condition for about 7 years. Periodically I get an infection which can spread to the kidneys and I get very tired all the time peeing frequently and my urine stinks. get dehydrated ,constipated and have to take rehydration salts
Occasionally I get really shaky and anxious like I have low blood sugar and have to stuff my face with sugary stuff though not sure if they are related conditions.
Dr refuses to send my urine away for tests . One of these days I'm going to fall asleep at the car wheel.

I have been advised by a physio it might be rieters syndrome?

Change your doctor, Other surgeries cannot refuse to take you on (my missus works for one as the practice secretary so she knows the rules). I was with mine for 20 years and TBH, they were crap, and happy to palm me off and get the next patient in. I moved to a new one a couple of years ago, and all the docs I've seen have been absolutely brilliant there.

Top Bottom