Types of Driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
BSRU said:
I seem to find women driving red mini's need to watched very closely, several incidents involving these drivers.
When I read the above, all I saw initially was "women with red minis" and a completely different mental image came to mind. :ohmy: It's OK, I'm over it now (I think).

Seriously, though - I agree with the "better they see you than completely miss the fact that you're there" school of thought. Even if their attitude sucks, at least when they see you it's a bit more difficult for them to use the SMIDSY excuse on you.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Oh, we all love stereotypes! I'm a modest WVM but I still fear some of the drivers that fit conveniently into the same box....the ASZ one.

On the bike, I tend to look behind me at red lights to see who is going to be a threat when the lights go green. My adrenaline starts to pump a bit if there is an un-signed Transit with three blokes in the cab and a stack of ladders on the roof. It racks up a bit more if the bloke in the middle is asleep, and there is an Ingeeerrrland flag somewhere. ( a sure sign that they have all "been down the pub"). Self-Drive hire vans have the same effect on me. The driver probably has no idea about the width of his vehicle, and will probably swipe me with his wing mirror.

But let us not forget to thank the good brethren amongst our number. Today, a huge white box van gave me a massive six foot pass on an awkward corner. For a couple of seconds, I could not believe the kindness......ah, it had Dutch plates, and they know how to drive, don't they? They cycle as well.

Safe ride.

bigtrike

I used to have problems with self drive hire vans and the "I've go no idea of the width" but in the last 20 years cars have become so large this is no longer an issue.

just jim

BSRU said:
I seem to find women driving red mini's need to watched very closely, several incidents involving these drivers.

Admittedly I am lumping mini drivers together here, so I'm not being entirely objective :sad: but female Mini operators who may or may not have blonde hair do seem to be rather impatient.

Sh4rkyBloke said:
I'd not considered that you'd simply missed a comma out, but assumed that you thought it wasn't a particularly bad piece of driving. :smile::blush:

I'll forgive you your grammatical faux pas. :wacko:

LOL! HLaB's post just didn't make sense to me at all, so I missed all the controversy!

Anyway, everyone is entitled to an opinion, and even if someone thought the incident was minor, that's fair enough. :ohmy: Yes, they'd have to be a raving loony toon, but they can still have an opinion! :sad::tongue:

thomas

the tank engine
HLaB said:
I don't know why, but I've decided there are two types of WVM; m-f WVM who behave exactly like you say and 7d WVM who take life a bit more relaxed and are the exact opposite; hold back pass wide etc.
I also find certain (not all) owners of german automobiles (particularly bmw's) and 4x4's are complete pr1cks like you describe Eoin.

I generally find them to be better. They've got the power to make up any lost time and to be able to overtake, wide, but in a shorter space than would be required by a slower car so there is less incentive to squeeze past.

thomas said:
I generally find them to be better. They've got the power to make up any lost time and to be able to overtake, wide, but in a shorter space than would be required by a slower car so there is less incentive to squeeze past.
I would say that about Subaru drivers they generally have the pace to overtake safely. Most (Not all) bmw drivers don't care IME and don't even bother to move out when overtaking even though they've got the car to do it safely.

OT on my ride today I was overtaken by a blacked out 4x4; tbh it was the best pass of the day. Blowing away stereotypes :ohmy:

BSRU said:

Not as bad as drivers passing women who are wearing red minis. Now they have NO attention on the road at all!

Maizie

Veteran
When there's a close overtake, I always think to myself "Did they not see me? Or did they see me and choose to get that close?" I can never decide which is actually worse...

Top Bottom