Tyre Advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
New wheels just arrived - now for tyres

looking for something lightweight but puncture proof too - what do you guys use??

will be for training rides not racing.

l4dva

Guru
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20460

this is what i use all year round, light weight and fast with good puncture protection too!

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
+lots on the Krylion Carbon. Quite possible the best all-round tyre available.

But buy quick, cos Michelin have stopped making them (I believe the "new" Krylion is being labeled as a
Pro 4 Endurance or something similar - whether it will be the same quality tyre is another matter).

I borrowed a conti gator skin/ front wheel about 1000 miles ago and been impressed with it. Although very robust, some say that they are a little skittish in the wet (I think that's the same of all hard compound, p'ture resistant tyres); I don't think they are however, just folks ride with too high a psi.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
anybody used the conti gp 4 seasons - at 230g per tyre they look as though they are very light and extremely puncture resistant

Sorry I was talking about the wrong tyres, gp 4000s. I use them on my best bike I've got about 2200miles out of them and just 1 p'ture (and that was when somebody sprinkled 1000 carpet tacks along the Etape Caledonia route) but I only use them in summer and weigh 9.5-10stone, my brother who is a few stone heavier has the same tyres and suffers more.
I used to use 4 seasons too, I think my first rear got 3,500 miles without a p'ture, I expected it to come but it never did and I considered them too worn anyway. My second rear I tkink got around 5000 miles with occasional p'tures and then got them nearly every ride at that stage. I think the front 4 season which got moved to back got more miles without failing. I would buy them again without a moments hesitation if it wasn't for the cost.

zizou

Veteran
I run the 4 seasons at the moment, nice tyres. I had krylions before and liked them too but the 4seasons seem to be better in the wet.

Have had a couple of puncture - one a snakebite from a huge pothole that i couldnt avoid due to it being hiden by a speed bump and one a bit of glass. Also had a couple of punctures on the krylions. IME they both offer a good compromise between performance and protection - they have a bit less protection than the specialized armadillos and bontrager hardcase lite i've had in the past but they both offer a nicer ride.

Top Bottom