Tyre advice please...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RegG

Über Member
Whilst cleaning my Defy 0 yesterday after a rather mucky ride, I noticed a split in the rear tyre. This is about 3-4mm long and it had a tiny piece of glass in it which I managed to remove without causing further damage. It does not appear to have gone right through the tyre as the tube is still full up to pressure.

What I would like to know, being a relative newbie, is whether or not I should be looking to replace the tyre now or is it likely to be ok as it hasn't gone right through?

The tyre is a Giant PR-3 if that makes any difference.

Any advice gratefully received.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
You are probably ok with that.

Some people inflate the tyre to open the cut and the add super glue. I just leave it.

Stock tyres tend to be quite poor IME, but you could chose to keep using them and there's no problem with that at all.

I've had cuts in tyres for ages that haven't caused further issues, but then again it is a weak point now and personally I prefer to do all I can to prevent from punctures. I don't even repair flats at the roadside, when I do get one I just chuck a new tube in and repair the knackered one at home with a brew :okay:

Or, considering the season and the state of the roads, if funds allow just replace them with something like Continental Gatorskins or Continental Four Seasons tyres, they both offer great puncture protection for increased peace of mind.

At the end of the day you must check your tyre pressures before every ride. Poor tyre pressure is one of the highest factors of punctures IMO, so remove any debris and check pressures is my nugget of wisdom FWIW :biggrin:

Also FWIW I used to swap between Gators in the winter and a more 'race inspired' tyre in the summer, (not that I ever have or indeed ever will race), but I haven't bothered for a few years now and just leave Gators on all year round :okay:

OP
OP
RegG

RegG

Über Member
You are probably ok with that.

Some people inflate the tyre to open the cut and the add super glue. I just leave it.

Thanks. The cut is not too big (yet) and doesn't seem to get bigger if I pump the tyre right up.

Stock tyres tend to be quite poor IME, but you could chose to keep using them and there's no problem with that at all.

I've had cuts in tyres for ages that haven't caused further issues, but then again it is a weak point now and personally I prefer to do all I can to prevent from punctures. I don't even repair flats at the roadside, when I do get one I just chuck a new tube in and repair the knackered one at home with a brew :okay:

Or, considering the season and the state of the roads, if funds allow just replace them with something like Continental Gatorskins or Continental Four Seasons tyres, they both offer great puncture protection for increased peace of mind.

At the end of the day you must check your tyre pressures before every ride. Poor tyre pressure is one of the highest factors of punctures IMO, so remove any debris and check pressures is my nugget of wisdom FWIW :biggrin:

Also FWIW I used to swap between Gators in the winter and a more 'race inspired' tyre in the summer, (not that I ever have or indeed ever will race), but I haven't bothered for a few years now and just leave Gators on all year round :okay:

Thanks for all the advice. Like you, if I get a flat whilst out I have spare tubes to put in instead of repairing at the roadside.
I have been considering the Conti 4 Seasons and will look into them further. It is excellent advice to check pressures before a ride and to check for thorns, cuts etc at the same time - I make a habit of it and well worth it for the time it takes.

I would use some rubber solution to seal the cut but order a new tyre ready to go if it keeps puncturing often.

I will give it a try. Thanks a lot.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Thanks. The cut is not too big (yet) and doesn't seem to get bigger if I pump the tyre right up.
It's probably OK then.
In general, if there's any visible deformity in the shape of the tyre, such as a bulge or an S-bend, the tyre should be replaced. If you can see the cut from the inside of the tyre, but there isn't a bulge, keep a fairly close eye on it, and if you can't see anything from the inside, the tyre is OK. Obviously the cut will be less puncture resistant should another bit of glass find the same spot, but that's about all. I have tried gluing cuts closed, but it didn't seem to last, so now I don't bother.

You will know if the cut gets critical because your tube will explode with a bang. The high-pressure tube "hernias" through the weak spot and you are either walking home or trying to bodge it. Some people carry a bit of plastic to re-inforce the weak bit or a piece of canvas, if it does blow that is. Sometimes you can get home by sticking patches on the inside of the tyre. On the other hand you might find the cut is not too deep and you get away with it for ages. You never know!

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I would just order a set of Rubinos They are pretty cheap and have a decent level of puncture resistance. They are so cheap its almost pointless keeping the stock tyres.

if they were like £35 just for one (like i paid for my Marathon Plus & apparently the RRP of my Durano Plus's) then £70 for the set would be an issue. The price is laughable compared to the rest of the competition.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
RegG

RegG

Über Member
I would just order a set of Rubinos They are pretty cheap and have a decent level of puncture resistance. They are so cheap its almost pointless keeping the stock tyres.

if they were like £35 just for one (like i paid for my Marathon Plus & apparently the RRP of my Durano Plus's) then £70 for the set would be an issue. The price is laughable compared to the rest of the competition.

Thanks for the reply. Strangely, I have been looking at the Rubinos as the split in my tyre seems to be expanding! The Rubinos are so cheap it is worth trying them for the money.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Thanks for the reply. Strangely, I have been looking at the Rubinos as the split in my tyre seems to be expanding! The Rubinos are so cheap it is worth trying them for the money.
I've ran them on a road bike and a hybrid all year and think they're great. Must be one of the best value tyres out there.

OP
OP
RegG

RegG

Über Member
I've ran them on a road bike and a hybrid all year and think they're great. Must be one of the best value tyres out there.

Thats good to hear 'cos I've just ordered a pair from Wiggle for just over £17.00 so can't be bad if they are as good as most of the reviews say they are.

Top Bottom