Tyre and mudguard clearance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daninplymouth

Hi, I think I need to get some mudguards for my 2020 carbon synapse. Online it says it will take a 32mm tyre. Do you think I can fit these and a set of mudguards?
I currently have 28mm tyres fitted but am looking to improve comfort slightly as the roads I use regularly now are in pretty poor condition really.
Or after seeing the other posts on here do I just buy myself a nice steely road bike 😂

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
At a guess you'd get a 28 in there + guards

vickster

Legendary Member
What’s the gap between tyre and seat tube like? That can be quite tight
Example, my carbon, I might even struggle to get a 25 in there, let alone a mudguard!

Attachments

• 7F8E60ED-0EBC-4D1E-948E-631A53714790.jpeg
    7F8E60ED-0EBC-4D1E-948E-631A53714790.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

What’s the gap between tyre and seat tube like? That can be quite tight
Example, my carbon, I might even struggle to get a 25 in there, let alone a mudguard!
Quite large I think. Just wondering whether I can fit both, or if il have to choose between 28mm + guards or 32mm without guards

vickster

Legendary Member
I’d stick with 28s and guards, you want a bit of gap between tyre and guard too so the muck doesn‘t bung them up. I find 32s a bit slow for roads, others not so

vickster

Legendary Member
Don’t know yet as my sks chromo don’t fit so will have to order some or wait for the shops to open
No LBS? They’re all open round here

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

Well I have ordered a set of 32mm gp5000 I will get these fitted then see if the lbs has any guards they can fit around them

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

I have fitted my new tyres there still seems a decent amount of clearance even though cannondale say 28mm are the biggest if fitting guards.
Popped to my lbs and it wasn’t the best he had some that he thought would fit so I asked him to fit them but they weren’t keen on opening them so took the bike details and said he’d research what would fit this afternoon.
This is with 32mm tyres fitted

Top Bottom