Tyre Choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
I have a Boardman CX Team 2016. It came fitted with 700 x 35C Rapid Robs. They fit quite well with my cycling - a bit of on and off-road; good on mud. However, their puncture resistance is clearly lacking - judging by the number of punctures that I'm getting. The rear tyre has also worn down quite quickly (less than 500 miles). Any suggestions for an alternative?

A lot of the ones that I have looked at seem to come in imperial sizes - what will fit on a rim that takes 700 x 35Cs?

Should I go tubeless?

Thanks.

Ajax Bay

Guru
If you have Mavic XM319 rims they are not 'tubeless ready' so you'd need a new set of wheels to go tubeless, I think.

Don't know where you get the 'imperial sizes'. Just look for 622 and then the width (or vice versa) eg 37-622. Others can suggest tyres but, given the terrain you cross. you'll want XC tyres (ie in the range a little bit to a lot of knobbles) and put up with them being a bit slow on the road. Slightly depends on whether the 'good on mud' needs to be slopy mud or just flattish pushing down bridleways mud. More tread on the rear tyre and slicker front might do it.

Getting only 500 miles from the rear is pretty poor - don't think Rapid Robs are that poor. Are you skidding down lots of stoney hills?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Rapid Robs are the kevlar-based K-Guard like most of Schwalbe's MTB tyres. It looks like the only more puncture-resistant MTB tyres are Smart Sam Plus and the rather firm Marathon Plus MTB, both of which are nearly twice the list price of Rapid Robs... but in a 35 or 37mm width, mixed-surface touring tyres like Land Cruiser / Land Cruiser Plus are also an option. Have a browse https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires

OP
OP
G3CWI

G3CWI

Veteran
Getting only 500 miles from the rear is pretty poor - don't think Rapid Robs are that poor. Are you skidding down lots of stoney hills?

Not skidding anywhere. The centre knobbles have nearly gone. Maybe 60psi is too high? 507 miles done (Strava).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Not skidding anywhere. The centre knobbles have nearly gone. Maybe 60psi is too high? 507 miles done (Strava).
I think 50 front and 65 rear would be in the ballpark for 35mm width on road. Maybe SBC is not a good compound for what you're riding on and Marathon's Endurance compound would be better.

Ajax Bay

Guru
If you are 88kg 60psi rear and 50 front is about right for 35s. One psi less for every kg you are below that. See attachment. I'll guess you're spending most of your time on tarmac, in fact and not much % on mud. CX tyres are deliberately made for excellent grip, at the expense of durability.
For the rear you need to replace, one with a lower profile centre strip and decent edge blocks for grip when leant over may be best.
How about a Conti CX Speed or a Schwalbe CX Comp? Better tyres are no doubt available at twice the price.

Attachments

• TyreInflationPressures.pdf
    201.6 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
G3CWI

G3CWI

Veteran
Thanks for the advice everyone. I have had several more punctures (2 today) and so I have ordered a land cruiser to try on the rear.

Ajax Bay

Guru
But what's causing so many punctures? Your experience is out of ordinary.

Top Bottom