Tyre choice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Pugs running 25 kwests and they are ace.
It's my Raleigh that's on 23s and they just feel awful.
Considering when I raced in the late 80s I think it was possibly 22s then...I feel very wobbly on the Raleigh while the pug feels well planted on the road.
Is suspect the Kendas won't be so ace when it comes to puncture resistance but you may be lucky.

What sort of Raleigh is it?

Now the thinking is 28c for racing. Strange but true.

OP
OP
Peugeotrider

Peugeotrider

Is suspect the Kendas won't be so ace when it comes to puncture resistance but you may be lucky.

What sort of Raleigh is it?

Now the thinking is 28c for racing. Strange but true.
Back in the 80s it was the narrower....the better!
The Raleigh is an aerolite.
Only have it a couple of weeks,bought it used but the tyres are bald up the middle and badly perished plus I hate coloured tyres too

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If they're that badly worn no wonder they're not riding well. A change to anything will improve matters. You may be able to squeeze 28s in, check clearance between the chainstays. They will just fit my Schwinn Traveler 1990 racer and later Trek SL.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It is for me mainly due to comfort because of the poor roads here. The only problem I see for the Raleigh is clearance at the seat tube, could be the angle of the photo, but 25s should fit.

I have put Schwalbe Range Cruiser on in place of WTB Ruddlers, having had a flat and noting the carcass really thin on them. I have a 16 miles commute (including about 12 miles on shared paths and dual carriageway which has a lot of debris and glass shards on) and wanted to reduce the possibility of having to change a tube on the way.
On road they are better than the Riddlers, and on gravel and compressed pebbles, they are great.
The most important consideration when on unmade surfaces is adjusting your speed, but I don’t chase around much at all, so no great negatives from slower speed.
They are pretty low cost too, and with some decent protection
Schwalbe at Wiggle

vickster

Legendary Member
None to speak of…what size tyre is that?

I know definetley i can get a 25 on but would prefer a 28 for comfort.
possibly my camera angle is bad but you can see the frame rail is bulged to accept bigger
You won't get a 28 in there, trust me on this!
It's not the chainstays. You'll find a 28 rubs the seat tube, and that's also supposing the mech band doesn't get in the way. Mine's got a braze-on, so that wasn't an issue, but 28s...no. Would be very surprised indeed.

Top Bottom