Tyre choices - would value an opinion(s)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PompeyBill

Hi again guys,

After doing a bit of research and reading, I've narrowed a choice for new tyres down to a couple, but just wanted a bit of confirmation from the real experts on this (ie, you).

Situation, I have a Giant Escape 4 2011 Hybrid, and am replacing my tyres. My usage at the moment (not long started cycling again) is a 10 mile round trip to work, which is all on roads, but not of the greatest quality, with some hills and inclines. I also use my bike for some short, flat rides and trips to the shops, but want to expand my usage as I get fitter.

At the moment, I just have the standard Kendra KWests which came with my bike, but one has developed a bulge, hence replacements. I want to go a little bit quicker whilst staying as puncture free as I can, so am looking for something a bit slicker. I'm thinking either Marathon or Marathon Plus, favouring the latter, and taking my tyre width down from my current 700x35 to 32, or even 28. I appreciate that the Plusses are on the heavier side, but would these still give me the slight improvement in speed I am after (once I'm on the move)? Would these be suitable for my route, or should I rethink?

Thanks for any advice.

Manonabike

Über Member
How about Continental Gatorskin - half the weight of the Marathon Plus.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
if I was going with pluses, despite the greater weight, then I'd stick with the 35s, I went from 35 to 32 then 28 and back to 35. The speed differential was non-existent but the 35s give a much comfier ride. If you do want to go smaller than 35 then I'd look at a different tyre, maybe the standard Marathon or another make, I really didn't rate the ride quality of the M+ in the narrower sizes. If you want to get speed, comfort, save weight and still have reasonable puncture protection the I'd look at Marathon Supremes.

I've actually just retired some M+ 35s from one bike in favour of 700x40 Supremes, but I still have M+ on a workhorse bike. If you want to try the 35s I can let them go at a reasonable price, based on others experience, I would reckon they have upwards of 5k miles left in them, maybe even a lot more. Say £20 including postage for the pair?

Also worth considering is running M+ in Winter when you really don't want to be fixing punctures and something lighter/quicker the rest of the year.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Just had a quick look in the garage and, along with the M+ 35s, I have some Continental Sport Contact in 700x32 which have a decent amount of life in them as well. I can throw them in with the M+ 35s, at no extra charge, and that way you have a Summer/Winter tyre combo and they'll at least give you an idea of which direction you may want to go in when they wear out.

OP
OP
P

PompeyBill

Hi Mac,

Thanks for the pointers and the extremely generous offer. Do you mind if I take you upon it? The Contacts are an added bonus as they were a set which I did consider as well, so both sets would be great to try. I will PM you!

OP
OP
P

PompeyBill

Just to bring this back to the top again, to say thanks to Mac for his fantastic offer, and for being a gent to deal with. Tyres were delivered, nicely boxed, and arrived a couple of days after postage. Have swapped my Kwests and am firstly trying out the Continental Contact Sports, and what a difference they make, really roll well and very nippy. Have got the Marathon Plusses too, which I will try out at some point, but am extremely happy with the Contacts for starters. The great thing with this too is that, for a small outlay and thanks to Mac's generosity, I've got the chance to try out some different tyres and see what sort of style and tyre I'll be comfortable with.

Thanks once again!

Top Bottom