Tyre deflation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Just had my second episode where I have gone over a pot hole and the tyre has deflated instantly

Is this to be expected on a road bike tyre or can I do something to prevent it (apart from the obvious of not going down one in the first place and/or lifting my weight off the saddle)

The tyres are 23mm Schwalbe Ultremo ZX running at 100 psi and the bike is a Specialized Allez Sport (recent thread here if your interested.....

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/update-of-the-2011-specialized-allez-sport-27.94813/#post-1707832)

As I have said in that thread the roads around here are attrocious so would changing to CX wheels and tyres help

Thanks for any advice :smile:

Have a look at the innertube - you can get what are called snakebite punctures where there is insufficient pressure in the tube and the innertube is squashed into the edges on the rim (you should see two little slits just like a snake bite).

The solution is to pop a bit more pressure into the tyre and try to avoid putting all your weight on either wheel.

OP
OP
2wd

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Thanks Pete

I have just looked now and there is a hairline split about 3mm long on the inner side of the inner tube,so its the part that sits against the wheel,not the road.

Now i'm confused :scratch:

Edge705

Well for starters 100psi seems pretty soft to me and the schwalbe is more a racing tyre for smoother roads why dont you try the new gator skin hardshell pump em up to 120 psi and they might just do the trick. I commute 28 miles a day on a heavy steel bike plus my 12 stone I would say sevral of those miles are on atrocious pitted roads so Ive been impressed with my gatorskins there is just not enough strength in the shwalbe ultremo the gatorskin offer lightness as well. Some would opt for Schwalbe durano I think they are a little heavier. Why not buy just one gatorskin (make sure its the hardshell version) and see how you go mine are like the day I put em on and theye done 400 miles and by the way I hammer the bike bouncing it in and out of the gutter line at times and most of my commute is average 19mph+ so they do take a battering. Like I say Ive been impressed and can only say what Ive experienced

OP
OP
2wd

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Thanks Edge

Your right, I need to be more practicle as the embarrassment of having to ring the Mrs up to bring me home is just too much to take :blush:

I must admit though the ride difference between the Schwalbe's and the standard Specialized tyres that the bike came with was a noticeable improvement

The Spesh tyres felt like riding through glue compared to the Shwalbe's

How are the Gator Skins?

Edge705

Thanks Edge

Your right, I need to be more practicle as the embarrassment of having to ring the Mrs up to bring me home is just too much to take :blush:

I must admit though the ride difference between the Schwalbe's and the standard Specialized tyres that the bike came with was a noticeable improvement

The Spesh tyres felt like riding through glue compared to the Shwalbe's

How are the Gator Skins?

Take a look for yourself 400 January commuting miles and the crap on them is from my commute earlier this evening

gator 1.JPG

gator2.JPG

gator3.JPG

OP
OP
2wd

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
They look tough :thumbsup:

Just been trying to replace the inner tube on the Scwalbe's

I've give up for this evening,those tyres are impossible to manouvere :banghead:

I even checked out what I was doing by watching Tony on Youtube,I'm sure his wheel was too small for the tyre as he made it look far too easy

May have to have some more embarassment in the morning and walk in to my LBS with my head drooped in shame :blush:

OP
OP
2wd

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Good point HlaB

I'll check it out tommorrow

OP
OP
2wd

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Well after listening to some advice about tyre type (Thanks Edge) and also thanks to others for replying :smile:

Then driving past a cyclist in full gear and road racing bike,I flagged him down and asked what tyres he was using

He replied "Gatorskin Hardshells,just done JOG to LE with no problems"

Not sure if he comes on here but if you do thanks for replying :smile:

I now have these fitted.....

SAM_0433.jpg

Also gone up to 25mm for a bit more support

Attachments

• SAM_0433.jpg
    SAM_0433.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 33

Edge705

Well after listening to some advice about tyre type (Thanks Edge) and also thanks to others for replying :smile:

Then driving past a cyclist in full gear and road racing bike,I flagged him down and asked what tyres he was using

He replied "Gatorskin Hardshells,just done JOG to LE with no problems"

Not sure if he comes on here but if you do thanks for replying :smile:

I now have these fitted.....

:thumbsup: Well done 2wd you'll not be disapointed make sure their nice and hard 120 if you can all the best

Also gone up to 25mm for a bit more support

OP
OP
2wd

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Cheers Edge

Just been out for a quick 5 miler and they were fine,no noteceable rolling resistance difference from the Ultremos' and most importantly they stayed inflated ^_^

Top Bottom