Tyre Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RyanOP

Hi all,

I’ve picked up a free bike & just need to change the tubes & fit new rim tape & new chain.

I can see which tubes I need to buy but I’m a bit confused as to why the rim I have shows a different number to the tyre the bike had fitted.
(Images attached)

Do these need to match? I would assume so but considering they were on the bike anyway has made me a tad confused!

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• A20BCD7D-84D9-4C9E-9AC8-FF9AD593EC67.jpeg
    A20BCD7D-84D9-4C9E-9AC8-FF9AD593EC67.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 499D91C9-D28D-4BAB-94DD-5045F042474F.jpeg
    499D91C9-D28D-4BAB-94DD-5045F042474F.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 3

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
26” is old sizing, 559 is the Etrto equivalent. Any tyre with 559 in its description should be fine, the 20 on the rim likely refers to the internal rim width.

1D17E802-DC7A-4A8C-9DD5-EB0B6DA94DC8.jpeg

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

Last question! I’ve got 16x559 rim tape, is that too narrow? Should I have ordered 18mm?

Jameshow

Veteran
That sort of riding are you planning on doing. This will determine the tyres you buy.

Knoblies ones for off road.

Semi slick for trails

Slicks for road.

You should w able to get some for £10 each off eBay wiggle Amazon etc.

vickster

Legendary Member
That sort of riding are you planning on doing. This will determine the tyres you buy.

Knoblies ones for off road.

Semi slick for trails

Slicks for road.

You should w able to get some for £10 each off eBay wiggle Amazon etc.

OP doesn’t say he wants new tyres though? Just tubes and rim tape

OP
OP
R

RyanOP

Thanks for the help everyone - I got my tubes, tape & tyres all fitted only to ride & find out my seat is too low. Now I've discovered the seat post is stuck & likely fused to the frame tubing - the same problem I had with my last freebie bike... :banghead:

richardfm

Veteran
When working on donated bikes at the not for profit cycle workshop that I volunteer at, after checking the frame, the next thing on the list to check is the seat post.

Top Bottom