Tyre on the wrong way round?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rockyraccoon

Veteran
yes.. your bike will reverse when you turn the pedals :tongue:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
From Sheldon Brown

Tread Directionality
Some tires have an asymmetrical tread, for instance "V" shaped tread blocks that could be oriented with the point of the "V" facing forward > or backward <. The question then arises, which way should they face?

Road Applications
With tires for road use, it really doesn't matter, since tire tread patterns serve no function on hard surfaces.
Tires with "V" patterns are common for motorcycles, and are generally installed so that the point of the "V" hits the road first. This is to help "squirt" the water out ahead of and to the side of the tire contact patch, as a protection against hydroplaning . Since hydroplaning is impossible on a bicycle, there's no need to observe this custom.
Off-road Applications

For off-road use in soft surfaces, there may be some merit in paying attention to the tread orientation, though this is far from certain.
Ideally, you would like the front tire to offer maximum traction in the braking direction, while the rear tire would normally be oriented to produce maximum traction for drive forces. Thus, if a particular tread pattern is perceived to have better traction in one direction than the other, it should be facing one way if used on the front wheel, and the opposite way if used on the rear wheel.

bobdaspider

Regular
Have just changed my inner tubes for latex ones - hey, why not, but because they're more sensitive, decided to also change the rim tape - which was a wise move. But unfortunately, have put the front tyre on facing the wrong way and since the latex tubes are more sensitive, I don't really want to mess around with and potentially puncture them by removing the tyre. So, based on the feedback here - will leave them as they are. I don't ordinarily ride in the rain anyway...

Top Bottom