tyre pinch on rollers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kev63

A little advise/help needed please
I have a set of rollers but I regularly pinch the rear tube, I have standard slicks which came with the bike (a Carrera tdf from Halfords). I am aware that these tyres lose pressure over a few days so I check them and keep them at the max 110psi.
I was wondering if this is an overheating problem as I am spinning quite fast in short bursts, or are they just poor quality tyres?

I am sorry if this issue has been dealt with in the past, but I could only find issues regarding rollers or turbo preferences

A little advise/help needed please
I have a set of rollers but I regularly pinch the rear tube, I have standard slicks which came with the bike (a Carrera tdf from Halfords). I am aware that these tyres lose pressure over a few days so I check them and keep them at the max 110psi.
I was wondering if this is an overheating problem as I am spinning quite fast in short bursts, or are they just poor quality tyres?

I am sorry if this issue has been dealt with in the past, but I could only find issues regarding rollers or turbo preferences

Hi there,

I use a specific Turbo Trainer Tyre, or I did. They make a huge difference and last for ages. It's a special compound that runs cold.

This looks like the latest version.

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti hometrainer.shtml

HTH.

Will1985

Über Member
Pinching the tube has nothing to do with the quality of the tyres. In fact on rollers, lower quality tyres with a (relatively) higher rolling resistance are better.

Pinching is more due to the quality of the inner tube and also how you fit them. Do you also check the inner carcass of the tyre for foreign objects before putting the new tube in? I'm also surprised that they lose pressure after a few days.

I use normal tyres on rollers with no visible extra wear, and both turbo specific and normal tyres for the turbo (specific over the winter and normal for one-off sessions).

OP
OP
K

kev63

Thank you for your responses solocyclist and will.
I do check the inside of tyre out of habit, I have to prise the tube off the tyre with a bit of force in places, which made me think a heat problem but I will replace the tube and hopefully solve the problem
When reassembling the wheel, I place the tube into the tyre slightly inflated then the tyre onto the rim, and then inflate gradual checking trueness

Top Bottom