Tyre pressure and punctures.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

+1 for the Topeak Road Morph, with a caveat. It can certainly get up to pressure (though it's quite tough work at 110 psi) and it's light and attaches firmly to the frame. The caveat is that I've cursed it so many times because it catches my fingers, especially when pushing it down hard at high pressure. So much so that despite my vote for it I'm going to try a proper frame pump. The extra weight can't be THAT much. Lots of people like the Zefal HPX, but I've gone for the Park PMP-5 because I like to buy quality, Park Tools are normally good quality and it has been cleverly design to adjust the size. Will report back.
Is the hPx still available? A few years back it was The Pump to go for, but I haven't seen them lately.. I've got a Topeak Road Master Blaster for full sized pumping now.

Regarding catching your fingers on the Road Morph, without teaching grandmother to suck eggs, presumably you're aware that the handle flips round to a "T" shape to make things a bit more comfortable.

Also, does the lezyne have a pressure gauge?
No it doesn't. And given that I struggle to force my track pump down to achieve over 90psi then I can't see me getting to anywhere near that with a minipump tbh!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
No it doesn't. And given that I struggle to force my track pump down to achieve over 90psi then I can't see me getting to anywhere near that with a minipump tbh!

Presta valves can stick occasionally.

Unscrew the little wheel, then press it in for a second to release a bit of air before attaching the pump.

RhythMick

Über Member
Is the hPx still available? A few years back it was The Pump to go for, but I haven't seen them lately.. I've got a Topeak Road Master Blaster for full sized pumping now.

Regarding catching your fingers on the Road Morph, without teaching grandmother to suck eggs, presumably you're aware that the handle flips round to a "T" shape to make things a bit more comfortable.

Thanks for checking - wouldn't put it past me. But yes even flipped around.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Get a JoeBlow - just topped up my tyres with latex tubes - they lose 10psi or so overnight - front from 100 to 110 psi, just 2-3 strokes, same with the rear, 110 to 120, again 3 maybe 4 strokes, very easy, and could carry on to 130+ without too much effort.

Get a JoeBlow - just topped up my tyres with latex tubes - they lose 10psi or so overnight - front from 100 to 110 psi, just 2-3 strokes, same with the rear, 110 to 120, again 3 maybe 4 strokes, very easy, and could carry on to 130+ without too much effort.

I have a JoeBlow - that's what I'm using. Maybe my model isn't as good as yours (was around £25 iirc). Or more likely perhaps it's because I'm only 10stone wet through and not blessed with great upper body strength, so when I put my body weight behind it that's not saying much! It goes from 0-80psi a doddle but then becomes pretty hard going. Am riding at 95psi for now and the bike feels good from where I'm sitting. Maybe I need to try @Pale Rider 's tip too when I check/inflate tyres again tomorrow.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I have a JoeBlow - that's what I'm using. Maybe my model isn't as good as yours (was around £25 iirc). Or more likely perhaps it's because I'm only 10stone wet through and not blessed with great upper body strength, so when I put my body weight behind it that's not saying much! It goes from 0-80psi a doddle but then becomes pretty hard going. Am riding at 95psi for now and the bike feels good from where I'm sitting. Maybe I need to try @Pale Rider 's tip too when I check/inflate tyres again tomorrow.
Strange! Mine's a JoeBlow Sport. I'm even more of a lightweight than you - at 9 stone 8, and certainly no strong-man. I put up with various Lidl/Aldi track pumps for years, and the JB was a revelation - 20-25 strokes up to 110psi :pump:

Hmmm...Joe Blow Sport is same as I have. Will try your tip after my ride tonight @Pale Rider and report back.

Top Bottom