Tyre pressure for mixed on/off road riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I'm planning a day's riding around Dartmoor sometime soon (exactly when will depend on the weather!), and looks like most sensible routes will involve a bit of road riding at points... plus I want to leave an easy route back on the roads as a bail out in case I need it ;)

Is it a good idea to compromise on tyre pressure in this case? I have images of horrible climbs with the front tyre squirming away all my energy, but my experience with MTBs is pretty limited so not sure if this is such an issue with the fatter tyres.

I'll be riding on a rigid fork if it makes any difference, and won't be throwing myself down any of the proper steep bits - just gentle cross country and will stick to the better trodden tracks where possible.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
I usually run 35 psi off-road and 65 psi on-road btw, on 2.1" front 1.95" rear tyres (will upgrade them eventually but still plenty of life left in them yet)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd stick with 30 PSI if using 2" or bigger MTB tyres. Depending on the amount of off road, going to say 50 PSI and you'll regret it. Bone jarring with a rigid MTB

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Thanks @fossyant, that's really useful to know - I was going to try 50 psi as a compromise but thought I'd ask all the helpful chaps on here first! Will stick to my usual 35 ish instead then.

Quite excited about a day up on the moor, hopefully it will have dried out a bit in the recent run of good weather :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I ran my snow studs at 50 PSI once. Bone Jarring on the off road section of my commute, never again.

Compromise a slight amount of road performance, with comfort, and an increase in off road performance.

35 p.s.I. off road for me, and on road pump the tyres up about as far as my cheap mini pump will take them. But mine is a full sus MTB so hard tyres on road are not such a discomfort.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I am going to disagree with everyone here and suggest a 45psi pressure for everything MTB related and this is what I run my hardtail MTB at at all times. Once the pressure gets much below this I tend to get pinch punctures on the down hill bits and once at 35psi or less the handling on twisty single trails is so badly compromised that I never ride at such 'low' pressures. 45 psi is also pretty good on the road although if I knew I was going out to do a predominantly road ride I might put in another 5psi for good measure.
I did use to run a set of 2.1" slicks at 65psi for commuting and these were also great for hammering down steps and stuff as well as long rides (Did a 100 mile trip to Southport and back this way).

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
You mention a 'gentle cross country' and plan a ride called 'Dartmoor Devon killer loop'.... :notworthy:

If there are longer bits of on and off road sections, adjust the tyre pressures accordingly. It only takes a minute to release a bit of air or pump a few psi back in. Plus, that gives you a chance to admire the scenery there if it isn't fogbound.
Enjoy the ride!

:smile:

I used to run 1.95's at 40 psi but I run 2.2's at 30. Personally I'd leave it at the ideal pressure for off-road as that's where it'll matter more but as the range of replies shows, there's no one bit of ideal advice. 65 does sound horrendously high for any off road stuff. Take a spare set of dentures with you.

Jody

Stubborn git
Once the pressure gets much below this I tend to get pinch punctures on the down hill bits and once at 35psi or less the handling on twisty single trails is so badly compromised that I never ride at such 'low' pressures. .

I would say I am the opposite with anything over 35PSi compromises handling. 22 PSi in my front tyre and 25 in the rear is what I run although it is set up tubeless. Would normally be 30PSi ish with tubes to try and avoid pinch punctures but 45 wouldn't ride well at my weight.

40 psi on my hardtail both ends.
That's 70% of the tyres maximum.
So there is still buoyancy in the tyre to soak up the bumps.
Works for me anyway,and I tend to think people get a bit too scientific with the low pressures.The right tyre choice in the first place usually sorts out the rear grip.
Sitting while climbing helps too.
Between 35/40 psi gives you sharper steering as well.
That's all I have to say about that
Carry on.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Thanks for all the advice!

Just getting everything packed tonight ready to head out tomorrow... and have put just over 40 psi in the back tyre and just under in the front, I'll see how I get on.

Haha, and the route I planned was a lot easier, 'til I found out you're not allowed to cycle across Dartmoor except on bridleways. So this "killer loop" is going to be a bit of a challenge!! I've walked parts of it before around lustleigh and am prepared for some very *exciting* sections along the way :smile:

CaadX

I am going to disagree with everyone here and suggest a 45psi pressure for everything MTB related and this is what I run my hardtail MTB at at all times. Once the pressure gets much below this I tend to get pinch punctures on the down hill bits and once at 35psi or less the handling on twisty single trails is so badly compromised that I never ride at such 'low' pressures. 45 psi is also pretty good on the road although if I knew I was going out to do a predominantly road ride I might put in another 5psi for good measure.
I did use to run a set of 2.1" slicks at 65psi for commuting and these were also great for hammering down steps and stuff as well as long rides (Did a 100 mile trip to Southport and back this way).
45 psi .

Top Bottom