Tyre Pressure...how much?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevenb

I'm not sure what sort of tyre pressure I should be putting in my tyres.
700x23C Vittoria Rubino folding.
I'm 12st 8lbs in my undies...
I'm scared of blowing the tyres to smitherines with too much pressure.
I haven't got my Felt bike yet but I know that when I had my Bianchi (same size tyres) I could never get the right pressure in them.

I have ordered a track pump to put the pressure in...just need a guide to tell me how much pressure.

Any help appreciated. :biggrin:

Steve

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Go by what it says on the sidewall. 12st 8 won't be outside what the manufacturers consider a normal weight of rider.

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Cheers mate. I couldn't recall finding that info on the Continental tyres from my Bianchi....must have been there though.
Should I be able to squeeze the sidewalls in easily or should they solid as a rock?
If I remember the pressures allowed vary from rim types too?

domtyler

Über Member
Just go for 120 psi. A lot of clinchers claim to be able to go far higher than this nowadays but remember that the rims themselves will have a limit of about 130 psi.

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Thanks for the advise.
I think I'll try 100psi first and then top up if I think it needs a bit more.
Having the track pump with accurate gauge will be much better than the hand pump I used to use.

Should I deflate the tyres partially when not using the bike?

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Ok cheers...I guess if the bike was to be idle for a long time then it would best...but from one weekend to the other should be ok then. Cheers guys. :biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
120?

lbs told me 90 was right as a balance between speed and ride

now I got a joe blow I'm at 100 and reckon it rolls better, it certainly fells rougher across potholes and rough tarmac but all good for amanly rider I reckon

120? yikes

Stwutter

My Michelin's say 116psi, and I stick to that (although 5 either side won't kill anyone). You'll get a softer ride if you drop by, say, 30-40psi, but it's a false economy 'cos of the energy you use to go the same distance on softer tyres, and you increase the chance of punctures. Only time you really need to drop pressure is in the wet (90-100psi) so there's more rubber on the road and more grip.

TimO

Guru
I used to put 150psi in the 20" front tyres on my Trice, but only when I was racing. It was hard as hell, and that era of Trice's didn't have any suspension.

I can't say I ever had any problems, but it was a quite narrow tyre on a narrow rim, and a relatively tight fit.

120psi shouldn't be a problem with most tyres. Virtually all tyres have some info on the sidewalls about the pressure range they should be inflated to. If it's max was 50psi, then 120psi would probably be a bad idea, but I'd guess that if the max was 90psi, then 120psi wouldn't really be much of a risk.

YMMV etc don't do this if you're not confident about it and willing to take the responsibility for your actions and so forth (ie if you do get a blow out, don't come crying to me. :biggrin:)

gkerr4

I always just go to the maximum rated on the sidewall - around 145psi on some tyres. imo - you need them rock solid as they roll better then and reduce the risk of pinch-flats as, well, there isn't any give to 'pinch'!!

asterix

Comrade Member
My preference is for 105 in the back and 90 in the front (the front seems to grip better on cornering at that pressure), but then I use slightly wider tyres. Weightwise, last time I looked I was just under 85kg - must be about 13st?

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

I used 90 psi front and rear on my first ride today. The bike was very responsive and cornered and climbed well and I stood up on the pedals on one part of a climb I did without the tyres squashing underneath.
It was a bit wet out there this morning though after last nights rainfall.

Top Bottom