Tyre Pressure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skipper

OK, so you get a roadside puncture. Stop. Fix it. Pump the tyres up hard. Five minutes later they seem to have lost half the pressure, and you either have to stop and whack a bit more air in or carry on with sub-pressure tyres. Why do tyres lose pressure after about 10 mins? It's common practice when I service the bike indoors now to go back to the wheels later and stick more air in, even though I pumped them up to within an inch of their life the first time. Confusing?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Maybe because you have not fixed the puncture probably is my guess.
If it was done properly then a patched tube should stay inflated.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Never happened to me either. Pump mine up to 110/120 psi, and maybe have to top them up after a week as they've dropped 5 psi or so, but thats all. Any more and I begin to suspect a slow puncture. Mysterious :scratch:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I can only achieve about 60 psi with the bike pump, I have to find a track pump to get properly hard.

Where's Fnaar?

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
I had this problem a few weeks ago, and eventually found a tiny piece of flint buried deep in the puncture proof layer of my tyre, that I couldn't see from the outside of the tyre or feel on the inside. It accounted for three flats, 2 of which were within a few minutes of each other, with some squidginess (!) between flats.

DWiggy

Über Member
I pump mine to 120psi and top them up half way during the week with about 10-20psi (after about 60miles)

AndyxBennett

If you are noticing a fall in tire pressure after a few minutes and then it stabilises (so therefore not punctured or leaking), it is quite possibly a phenomenon called Adiabatic Heating which occurs when the pressure of a gas is increased from work done on it by its surroundings;

As you inflate the tire you compress the gas in the pump / tyre / inner tube, this in turn increases the temperature of the gas in the pump / tyre / inner tube which then causes the gas to expand which in turn causes the pressure to increase.
(Basically - the greater the pressure increase - the greater the temperature increase - the greater the expansion of the gas - the greater the pressure increases...)

I hope that makes sense. :pump:

What will then happen; you start riding, after a few minutes the temperature of the gas in your tires cools to the ambient temperature and the pressure in the tire falls.
Don't get me wrong we are only talking a few degrees, but because of the pressures involved & the volume of the tyres it will be noticeable.

Andy

PS - Those who use CO2 inflators will notice that the CO2 cylinder cools when they fill they inflate their tyre - the reverse of the logic applies (the pressure in the cylinder falls rapidly causing the remaining gas in the cylinder to cool - this in turn causes the gas to contract thus causing the pressure in the cylinder to fall further)

edindave

Über Member
I've had Conti tubes lose 10-20PSI overnight. Pinpointed it to loose valves on each one in a multipack.
Just used needlenose pliers to tighten the inner part of the valves up and problem solved.

Top Bottom