Tyre Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robbiep

Über Member
Help - I leave next wed on a 9 day LEJOG and i've a real issue with a tyre i recently fitted.

I've done 2500 miles on 2 michelin transworld tyres, all was good. I noticed very slight cracks in the side wall of the rear so i changed it to a michelin pilot.

So far i've done 150 miles with this on the rear and it feels horrible!! the rolling resistance just feels really different, is this possible or is it just in my head?? it feels heavy and sluggish where the first tyre felt light and fast.........am i imagining this??

I kept the old tyre and i'm thinking popping it back on, should i risk it, i've checked it over and it seems ok, but i did change it as i saw some very small cracks initially.

Can different tyres really feel this.......well different??

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Help - I leave next wed on a 9 day LEJOG and i've a real issue with a tyre i recently fitted.

I've done 2500 miles on 2 michelin transworld tyres, all was good. I noticed very slight cracks in the side wall of the rear so i changed it to a michelin pilot.

So far i've done 150 miles with this on the rear and it feels horrible!! the rolling resistance just feels really different, is this possible or is it just in my head?? it feels heavy and sluggish where the first tyre felt light and fast.........am i imagining this??

I kept the old tyre and i'm thinking popping it back on, should i risk it, i've checked it over and it seems ok, but i did change it as i saw some very small cracks initially.

Can different tyres really feel this.......well different??

Tyres can feel different and yes they do have different rolling resistances.

Having said that I would be reluctant to put your cracked worn tyre.

See if you can get your hands on an identical tyre to the one that you've removed else try a Panaracer Pasela Tourguard. I've used them for two End to Ends a Channel to Med Ride and around 80 x 100km Audax rides without problems.

OP
OP
R

robbiep

Über Member
Thanks Vernon

With just a few days to go I really dont want to source and try a different tyre, I'd be starting the ride having not ridden on it for any real distance. I note you've found it more than adequate for thousands of your miles!!:biggrin:

As the tyre is off I've had a good look over and it looks pretty good, there are 3-4 very small superficial cracks on one side wall but not deep. As this tyre has been on the rear all the time should I put it on the front and switch the front to back?

Or should I just put it all back together as it was, which worked well??? Also do tyres go back on as well once they've been removed? Sorry but I've no experience of this at all.

I've searcher high and low for the original tyre but can't locate it, even phoned michelin, they thought I was talking about a car tyre!:blush:

I'll take the new tyre as a spare for an emergency - but I can't face riding 1000 miles on it!!

OP
OP
R

robbiep

Über Member
I'd keep your best tyre on the front - and a quick google http://www.chainreac...9&ModelID=26233 Is that the one you're looking for?

Thanks fixedfixer, no this is the one I'm after in a 32
http://www.cyclesuk....1011/366-248150

Why would you keep the best on the front? Is there a product that can be painted over small cracks in tyres (side wall) as a precaution........I sound as green as my missus!!

I could do without this stress a few days before lift off!!

fixedfixer

Veteran
Thanks fixedfixer, no this is the one I'm after in a 32
http://www.cyclesuk....1011/366-248150

Why would you keep the best on the front? Is there a product that can be painted over small cracks in tyres as a precaution........I sound as green as my missus!!

In my experience it is easier to control a bike with a flat back tyre than one on the front. Also, keeping the 'grippy' tyre on the front helps avoid a wipe out in the wet. Just my take on it. Like Vernon says the Panaracer Pasela is a good tyre.

What about this then http://www.freemanscycles.co.uk/product2.asp?product_id=257&pname=Transworld City :rolleyes:

PpPete

Legendary Member
In my experience it is easier to control a bike with a flat back tyre than one on the front. Also, keeping the 'grippy' tyre on the front helps avoid a wipe out in the wet. Just my take on it. Like Vernon says the Panaracer Pasela is a good tyre.

What about this then http://www.freemansc...answorld%20City :rolleyes:

Definitely want best tyre on front.
To be honest those Michelins you are looking at are at the budget end of the scale.

FWIW we took a number Bontrager Hardcase Racelites (in a variety of widths) in our support vehicle (kindly supplied by LBS on sale or return basis)
Various team members used 23, 25 and 28s with no complaints and no punctures. I think they do 32s as well. Seems like a good mid range tyre to me.

I've been meaning to try the Pasela, but always ended up with something else.

OP
OP
R

robbiep

Über Member
Definitely want best tyre on front.
To be honest those Michelins you are looking at are at the budget end of the scale.

FWIW we took a number Bontrager Hardcase Racelites (in a variety of widths) in our support vehicle (kindly supplied by LBS on sale or return basis)
Various team members used 23, 25 and 28s with no complaints and no punctures. I think they do 32s as well. Seems like a good mid range tyre to me.

I've been meaning to try the Pasela, but always ended up with something else.

So far they have performed well for me over 2500 miles (no p's!!) so at this late stage i'd like to stick with what I know. After the event I'll look in to the ones you suggest!!

Thanks

Top Bottom