Tyre question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a Specialized Diverge fitted with GravelKing SK 32mm which I use on the road and also flint fire trails in my local area. They have held up well, no cuts or punctures and my average speed on the road is only fractionally slower than my other proper road bike

panaracer-gravelking-sk-tyre-4.jpg

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Not sure about them: I like the way they ride, but had 2 successive pairs that got lots of cuts plus resulting punctures, after only about 1,000 miles.
If you do a lot of Sustrain like surfaces, the Land Cruisers are a false economy imo.

There's two versions of the Land Cruiser; the regular one and the Plus version - which has a level 5 p*ncture protection the same as Marathon Greenguard. I've got a set of Plus fitted to one MTB, but haven't done enough miles to form an opinion about service life, but they have kept the fairy away so far.
I doubt any maker will use their most hard-wearing compound for a MTB-lite type application, as they will reason the tyre will probably get damaged before it actually wears out. I've come to the conclusion that the most economical and best all-round utility tyre you can fit is the original version of the Marathon. They are excellent for everything apart from wet mud & grass, and if you need traction on those slippery surfaces then you need knobbles and have to be willing to sacrifice some mileage longevity.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
If I'm doing serious offroading, Landcruisers are my 'go to' tyre.
Cheap as mentioned. Quick-ish due to the central rubber strip and nobbly enough on the sides for cornering reasonably confidently on loose grave and mud.
The first pair I had were 700 x 35c and did indeed suffer a spate of pu**tures over a few weeks but then again, so to did my other tyres at the time. The 38c's that replaced them never once went down in the 2 years I used them and the newer 26 x 1.5" cruisers I've used on and off for the last year have yet to leak either.
Incidently, 20 odd bikes used by the council for social rides 3 times a week doing 60 miles a week on mixed surfaces have also not punctured once since fitted with cruisers 3-4 months ago.
They're good tyres really.

Top Bottom