Tyre Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dav1d

I bought an Apollo Boulevard bike off eBay in November (yeah I know it's a BSO, but it was originally just a spare bike, and it was cheap). It had been stored in a garage for 10-15 years and not ridden in that time. There was some surface rust on it but it's been fine apart from that (other than the front mudguard needing to be removed recently). The tyres pump up ok, and hold air. They also seem to have good tread. So far I haven't got a puncture, but I'm wondering what would happen if I did:

Would the tyres fall apart as I was removing them (bearing in mind how long they have been on the bike)?

bauldbairn

Maybe worth replacing the tyres and tubes due to age - if you look on Chain Reaction Cycles(or any other shop) you should be able to get a set for under £20(2Xtyres,2Xtubes+free postage).

OP
OP
D

dav1d

bauldbairn said:
Maybe worth replacing the tyres and tubes due to age - if you look on Chain Reaction Cycles(or any other shop) you should be able to get a set for under £20(2Xtyres,2Xtubes+free postage).

Thanks. I don't think the original owner used the bike much, possibly only a few times, hence it being sat in the shed for years, along with his wifes bike. I've used the bike almost everyday andthe tyres seem ok, but I can't be sure due to their age (they look fine though).

rusky

CC Addict
I would replace tyres & tubes it were me, think of the outome if the front tyre gave out!

shippers

You could just take the tyres off, have a good look at them and put them back on. Look for cracking in the rubber.
I'd probably go for the new tyres option.

Top Bottom