Tyre recommendation please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beany_bot

Veteran
Looking for a new back tyre for my commuter bike. (26")
It's a hybrid MTB commuter DIY ebike mishmash!
Use mostly on tarmac/slightly gravely cycle paths to and from work 10miles each way.

Not looking anything super high end. Just something decent enough better than the Chinese one that came with the back wheel that I've chewed up in 500 miles.

Nothing super nobbly but something that won't spit me off in a light gravelly corner. (Think red Ash). But mostly I'm tarmac or similar.

Thanks in advance.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'll pitch in first with the Schwalbe Marathon Greenguard. Copes with most surfaces (although a mud tyre it ain't), very puncture resistant, wears well (5000+ miles is realistic for a back tyre) and rolls pretty well too. I like them a lot on my commuter.

I got mine from Rose Bikes for about £13 apiece.

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
I'll pitch in first with the Schwalbe Marathon Greenguard. Copes with most surfaces (although a mud tyre it ain't), very puncture resistant, wears well (5000+ miles is realistic for a back tyre) and rolls pretty well too. I like them a lot on my commuter.

I got mine from Rose Bikes for about £13 apiece.

Thanks! Looks like a great tyre. My initial thoughts (based purely on looks) is that I'm probably after something just slightly more aggressive (tread wise) for some of the sections on my commute are quite fine gravely and slippy. I tend to go quite fast when using the motor and peddeling hard.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Fair enough. You could look at Schwalbe Land Cruiser which has a chunkier tread pattern but is designed to still roll well on the road.:okay:

With loose gravel I'd be wary of hard cornering regardless of the tyre. I ride all kinds of surface on the Marathons and the only time they've spat me off so far was while crossing a very slimy ford. Since I couldn't even stand up on that surface after the event I don't feel too bad about them letting me down that once.:laugh:

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
Fair enough. You could look at Schwalbe Land Cruiser which has a chunkier tread pattern but is designed to still roll well on the road.:okay:

With loose gravel I'd be wary of hard cornering regardless of the tyre. I ride all kinds of surface on the Marathons and the only time they've spat me off so far was while crossing a very slimy ford. Since I couldn't even stand up on that surface after the event I don't feel too bad about them letting me down that once.:laugh:

Ah that's the tyre I have on my road bike / cyclocross for the same route! It's very good and well suited. I didn't know it came in 26". Great thanks.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The other tyre that comes to mind is the second least knobbly in the Michelin trail series. I think it's Country Trail but check that. I'd probably still go with Land Cruiser if you can get it, but that'd be my second choice.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Looking for a new back tyre for my commuter bike. (26")
It's a hybrid MTB commuter DIY ebike mishmash!
Use mostly on tarmac/slightly gravely cycle paths to and from work 10miles each way.

Not looking anything super high end. Just something decent enough better than the Chinese one that came with the back wheel that I've chewed up in 500 miles.

Nothing super nobbly but something that won't spit me off in a light gravelly corner. (Think red Ash). But mostly I'm tarmac or similar.

Thanks in advance.

You don't need an ebike specific tyre, but there's no harm in having one assuming the tread pattern suits.

Rear hub motors can be hard on sidewalls, more I think due to the weight than the torque, which is not that great assuming a legal motor.

Something from the linked list will serve you well.

As regards a supplier, Rose is worth a look as mentioned up thread, or I've found Bike Discount to be good on price, particularly for Schwalbe tyres.

The Bike Discount website search function can be a bit cranky, so you may have to root around a bit to find what you want.

https://www.schwalbe.com/gb/newsreader/tips-for-pedelec-and-ebike-gb.html

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/mountain-bike-tyres/brand-schwalbe

Top Bottom