Tyre Repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve H

Large Member
Got a puncture on my mtb at the weekend. Had spare tube and tyre leavers, so was fairly easy to do a repair on the trail. What I fished out was a pretty large bit of slate. It had gone right through the tyre and into the tube. Replacing the tube was fine to get me home with the hand pump, but when I got home and inflated the tube fully with the track pump, I noticed the inner tube bulging out through the slit in the tyre. This obviously won't work and I can see it puncturing again quite easily.

Can the tyre be sealed / repaired or do I need to buy a replacement tyre??

potsy

Rambler
Sounds like a new tyre to me Steve,is it fairly new or have you had your moneys worth?

D

Deleted member 1258

Got a puncture on my mtb at the weekend. Had spare tube and tyre leavers, so was fairly easy to do a repair on the trail. What I fished out was a pretty large bit of slate. It had gone right through the tyre and into the tube. Replacing the tube was fine to get me home with the hand pump, but when I got home and inflated the tube fully with the track pump, I noticed the inner tube bulging out through the slit in the tyre. This obviously won't work and I can see it puncturing again quite easily.

Can the tyre be sealed / repaired or do I need to buy a replacement tyre??

The best thing to do is scrap it. As a quick get me home fix you can put a small section of tyre inside the split tyre between tyre and inner tube, but only to get you home I wouldn't use it for long term repair.

battered

Guru
Do a search for "tyre boot" which is a temporary repair for just this situation and was talked about last week. Note it's just a get-you-home, it works but you need another tyre.

Top Bottom