Tyre replacement question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sambo241

Regular
Good morning.

I have a question regarding tyre replace on my bike.

It currently has a rear wheel puncture. The tyre is a tubeless one. They are maxxis overdrive excel 700x35mms. I have looked at a replacement tyre but none are in stock at 35mm width, but I can get 32mm. I have tried for the 35s with no avail. So, my questionis is;

Is the 700x32mm tyre width compatible with the set up with it being 3mm less in width (same diamater)?

I'm hoping the slight drop in width wouldn't pose much if any a problem. But I'm new to cycling so please bear with me if this is a stupid question.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thank you

geocycle

Legendary Member
Welcome! There are a number of questions arising from your post, for example whether the hole in your tubeless could be plugged if the sealant wasn’t enough. However, to answer your question, running a slightly narrower tyre will not make much if any difference. For example I currently have 28mm on the front and and 25 mm on the rear.

Reactions: C R

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome: What sort of sealant did you use in the tyre, Stans? Pop some more in, swill around and reinflate.
Otherwise, just put a tube in; and ride on (@geocycle has expressed surprise you can't just mend the Maxxis tubeless).
If has to be new tyre I'd go for a different make and stick with a 622-35 tubeless or not tyre with similar grip/tread character.
Need to check that any tubeless tyre you choose is compatible with the rim. Your Local Bike Shop is your friend I'd say, on the basis of your OP.

figbat

Slippery scientist
As mentioned, a bit more detail needed. Is the puncture terminal? They can often be repaired simply, without even removing from the rim. Or if it’s a small one then let the tubeless sealant have a go at sealing it (inflate the tyre and put the puncture at the lowest point). If I put a new tyre on for every puncture I’d get through a lot of tyres!

If you must fit a new tyre then the smaller width one will fit and work, but may need to be pumped up a little harder and therefore be a touch less comfortable to ride on.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It may be a tubeless tyre, but is it being used tubelessly?

'Many' wheel/tyre combos are tubeless 'ready' but often supplied with tubes as this is easier and IMO much more practical (apart from the fact that such tubeless items are frequently near impossible to fit/remove, even for a strong handed, skilled, experienced person like me, but that's another topic!!!!).

Make sure you are not over thinking the problem. May just be a simple tube replacement (or even better, a repair) that is required.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
I would buy a new bike !
but back in the real world , best bet is to look at the problem , how big is the hole ( if it is a hole , any chance its coming out of seal on rim ) take wheel off bike , fill with air and rotate wheel in water to see where the air is coming from
small hole - more sealant
bigger hole - I have put patch on inside of tyre with success - or put tube in
valve seating - YouTube taking out cleaning and putting back in
top of valve - tighten valve
no hole - more sealer
no time - take off tyre , check no thorns in it , check no massive holes and whack an inner tube in and if you want to , take valve out of inner tube and put sealer in that !
good luck

Top Bottom